1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

box truck vs pickup and trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Masters, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm currently looking to expand and get a second truck, but I need to decide between a box truck, and a pickup with a trailer.

I'm thinking a 16' enclosed trailer for security, since around here things do tend to "walk" off if you dont lock em up. or a box truck of the same length with a custom made ramp on it for this purpose. I just cant decide which I want, either one is a great addition, but I cant make up my mind.

my budget, is $10K, for the either setup, which I'm sure I can do, if I get something used.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run 2 box trailers keep them sharp looking hindsight i would have bought a junky box trailer.They will get banged up nobody cares but you.

3. Lawn Masters

Since I found a suburban locally for a decent price under $6K, and in decent shape, I'm going the trailer route. Turf Docter, thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the box truck. You can get a used truck for $15,000 and $1500 for the ramp. A box truck is better with employees, since they aren't towing a trailer.

5. Lawn Masters

While this is true, it'll be a crew with a driver who's towed trailers before, so I'm not too worried about that. besides, my limit was $10K.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

got a bank. Pull a small business loan.