1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Box truck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Abita Bill, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Abita Bill

Abita Bill LawnSite Member

Hi guys! I'm starting up in 2004. I'm considering purchasing a used U-haul (from U-haul) 17' box truck for $4,500.00. It will solve two problems for me. One, U-haul trucks are well maintained and should prove to be reliable. Two, I won't need an extra storage area for my equipment when I'm not working. If I'm forced to stay somewhere other than my house, my equipment will be safe. I won't need a trailer, at least not right away. But I've noticed that no one on this site talks about using anything other than a pick-up and trailer. Is there something I should know or do you think the Up-haul is a good idea? Thanks!
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there's a few operations around here that run cube vans. I saw one today that was using a ex-ryder truck. it was still yellow and you could see the paint-fade around the previous lettering location.

the streets around here are too narrow for a truck like that for me, but you're right, it's dry and lockeable.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

4. mikeg8575

mikeg8575 LawnSite Member

one thing about the box truck is no room for grass clippings or anything else

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

get the box safe dry and no trailer