Box Trucks, 3 Man Crews... Extra doors = More $$$

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by privatelawn, Nov 20, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Im thinking of going with Box Trucks, I know there are 4 door trucks out there but they also cost alot more, ive seen decent box trucks for about $5k now do I have 3 guys sit in the front seat or spend the extra $$$ on 4 doors? At the moment I have a 4 door f150.

The average time spent per home is about 12 minutes and drive time to next home is 2 minutes so they do need to get in and out alot.
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Hino box truck and we have a three man crew. There is plenty of room for three men to ride comfortably.
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 4 guys in the front on my NPR! Nobody liked it and ther was a lot of moaning and groaning but you do what ya gotta do. Three people will fit fine in the front seat.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that is not very smart...

first it's illegal.
    if they got in an accident they could sue your pants off. you made them ride in the front with more people than seat belts. Any lawyer would have a field day with that one.
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

as with the "mexicans in the box" idea that i see a lot of landscapers doing. very unsafe, and i think irresponsible.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This is the part of the thread I question. I have not found anything I thought I could rely on for twice that.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think any of those guys would sue me. It was my brother-in-law, father-in-law, and my dad! We were moving my sister-in-law. I didn't "make" any of them do anything. I guess I should have clarified that in the previous post.
  8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If your in a neighborhood and only driving 2 minutes to the next stop, I don't see why they couldn't ride in the back of the truck.

When I had employees a few years ago, from stop to stop in a neighborhood, they just rode on the trailer, usually sitting on the mowers. They liked it cause it helped cool them off faster than riding inside a hot truck, I liked it cause it took less time to get from stop to stop and it helped keep the inside of my truick a little cleaner.
  9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

If you implement a scenairo like this, you will get a ticket if the police see you.