Box Trucks

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

So how many of you have made the switch over to box trucks? How do you all like it so far is it nmany times better than truck and trailer or just a little better. The reason we are asking is we filled out the order form to get an estimate on the Super Lawn Trucks site but $60,000.00 dollars seems just a little high. Yes we know all the different stuff they are offering and that it would take alot of headaches out of going to a seperate company for each item. So what does everyone who have box trucks think of them and also has anyone ordered a Super Lawn Truck/ If so what did or do you think of it?

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Why spend 60 grand on one? Get one 2 or 3 years old for 15-20 grand and have someone build you a dovetail with ramp to put on it. You could build your own racks for the inside.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Ron^ Find a good used truck and outfit it yourself. Start writing down your ideas as far as what you want on the truck, and where it should go. Good winter project!

4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We spent 25k on a truck and installed a ramp on it.

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

We just got one about 3 weeks ago and it has been great. It is a 16' Isuzu NPR with a dovetail and ramp. It is getting lettered this week! It's gonna be a rolling billboard! They have their pros and cons just like a trailer but you get used to it. I really like mine and would recommend them to someone else. As soon as it is lettered and I get some pics of it I am gonna start a thread on it.

6. Luke Reedy

Luke Reedy LawnSite Member

I am also considering buying a new one. I've decided I've had it with used stuff. I am thinking about an Isuzu NPR open or enclosed. My question is, when buying a commercial truck like this how do you get the best price on the truck itself? How willing are the dealers willing to deal and what kink of percentage off sticker price can you get? Even if you go to SLT do you have to take their price or is it all negotiable? Thanks for any insight.

7. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

As said where's the box truck for leaves?

That dump option looks too small to be worth anything.

$60,000 and still will have to buy a 20' dump trailer for the leaves.

$60,000 can buy two new chevy pickups with 8' bed and a 7x12 trailer for each truck or a dump insert for one of the trucks.

A pickup can be used to plow.

A pickup can be used as personal vehicle on off times.

$60,000 and no flexibility.

9. Luke Reedy

Luke Reedy LawnSite Member

Where I live it snows about once per century. The problem is people steal all the time. We don't need a plow, but need some security in the field.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

An idea I have been toying with is a removable cage in the forward part of the enclosure. Keep the side door closed until unloading then simply open up and dump the debris.

I have done this for years with a basket type trailer that has a door on the right side. To unload all I do is pull the four ropes attached to each corner of a 3/4" piece of plywood sized just a bit smaller than the cavity. Two guys uniformly pull the ropes, debris ejects easily then a quick blow down and the area is clean.