Boxblade on driveway grading?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Could i use a boxblade to grade out an existing, packed driveway that has a lot of loose areas with ruts in them?

The customer is looking to possibly put down more stone, but since the driveway is so long he doenst think he could afford it, but its definitly the right way to go.

If i quote him out a price for JUST grading to flatten out these numerous bumps and ruts with areas where the water sits, would a box blade take care of that? What concerns me is that there are parts of the driveway that are very hard packed and nothing short of a large skid steer or something heavy would probably go through that, those areas id rather not mess with though.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yes it will work great, the blade will slowly grind down the hard spots.
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

A box blade is perfect for that kind of grading - you may need to add weight to cut down the hard ruts. Much easier to do after a rain.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

somewhere on here or plowsite there was a good thread about grading gravel driveways, or do a google, there is a pull behind machine (it plugs into your 2" receiver) that does just what your thinking of doing.
  5. Grn Mtn

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Box blades, gannon boxes whatever you wanna call it are all the asphalt guys use around here. Works great and levels out the stone very well.
  7. Grn Mtn

8. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

My box scraper has 5 teeth that I can adjust down to help loosen the really packed stuff first. I just worked some really packed roads this week. It worked really well. Make sure you have the scraper adjusted right but a box blade is about the best think for this job. I like to go over it with a box blade first and then a landscape rake to make it look nice and pretty. My box blade is made by frontier (john deere). Hope that helps and good luck.
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I say use the some grapplers with a 2x4 locked in the teeth and in the float position tilted. Will smooth that thing out like a babies booty....JMO...