1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Boxelder Bugs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SCL, Apr 7, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone got a surefire method of getting rid of the 2001 Illinois plague, boxelder bugs? Just give me some thoughts and potntials on elimination and prevention. Thanks.
  2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

When I was still in hort school a neightbor of ours asked me to ID the bugs that were crawling all over his house, shure enough they were boxelder bugs. I then went and asked my prof. if there was any way was to get rid of the bugs. His reply was " yep just cut down the boxelder tree ".
    Good Luck,
    Jim L
  3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Jim- I dont think I have a Boxelder tree (unless the maples count) the seeds look the same. For fast relief. Suck 'em up with a dry-vac.
  4. wkshank

wkshank LawnSite Member

I have found that some insecticides work well on boxelder bugs now and even have them listed on the lable.

If you do not like that route, around 13 years ago at a place I worked had a boxelder bug problem. When the Orkin guy came to spray I asked him if he had anything that would kill them. At that time he said there wasn't a thing on the market that would do the job, but he would show me a trick. He had me get a spray bottle and put water in it. Then he put a bit of plain old dishsoap in the bottle and we went outside. Had me spray the bugs and they dropped like flies. Turns out the boxelder bug has a waxy coating as its immune system. The dishsoap breaks this down and they die.

Good luck,
  5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

it's true,dish soap works well.way back when soaps were used as insecticide...
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I was told Orthene or Tempo WP is used for Boxelders. Also, I've made some observations that I'd like to share and get your opinions on. During my fulltime job (structural pest control), I've noticed that I only see Boxelder bugs when pine straw is present. I've never seen an infestation in mulch, have any of you? I've also noticed that carpenter ants seem to suppress other ant species close by. This is the year of the ant btw. They're driving us all nuts.
  7. My dad has tried several but the dish soap. I will be trying that Sunday in a back pack sprayer.

Demon has worked ok so far but they still come back.