Boxer Auger in frozen ground

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by awdriven, Feb 2, 2007.

1. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

How does the boxer mini skid with 9" post auger do in semi-frozen ground? I have about 30 fence post holes to dig and the weather has been between 25 and 40 degrees for the past 2 weeks.

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We just finished up a post and rail fence with an ASV RC-30 and 9 inch auger.
    On the one really cold day it was hard to get started. I'd expect trouble with a boxer since it's a little lighter. You might move quicker starting with a 6 inch bit then rounding the hole out with the 9, or have a helper start with a digging bar to break through the crust.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have used a weed burner (attaches to propane tank) to warm the ground first. You may also want to rent a heavier machine to dig the holes. The weight and sharp teeth are what will get you through the frost. I doubt it would be that deep with those temps. This winter has been bad here for frost. Little snow and extremely cold temps have caused frost levels to exceed six feet deep. Many of the cities in the area are having to dig down to the mains, attach welders to them and heat the mains to get entire city blocks thawed out. I had never seen it this bad here. Sorry I got off topic.

4. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, guys - Hopefully we get a couple 40 degree days in NJ again soon - have a 400 lf fence job ready to go once the weather cooperates.

5. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

When the frost gets to be 4-8 inches, we always used to jackhammer a "plug" where the hole needs to be dug. Takes some more time, but a little less profit is better then none at all. But with sharp teeth I do not see an inch of frost really slowing that machine down. Maybe just stab the ground with a digging bar to get the starter bit stuck.