boxwood help...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Beau Rivage, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

I've got a line of boxwoods about 30 feet long and waist high...They're right up against the front of the house and very old. The problem is that they don't go all the way to the ground...I mean to say they look like miniture trees. You can see the trunks on them and I want them to go all the way down to the grass. What to do??

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

There are many plants called Boxwoods, Japanese Boxwoods, Boxwood Eyuonomus, Carissa "Boxwood Beauties" thats just in Az. So I can not advise on cutbacks for plants in your area.

That said, sounds like a low light issue to me. Simply put the top is wider than the bottom and gets all the sunlight. To keep hedges full the top needs to be slightly narrower than the bottom and it is usually the other way around.

Cutting back the top will stimulate new growth fertilizing with a high N fertilizer will make the flush out faster and thicker but you will probably have to wait until spring.

3. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Thanx AZ...I live under a canopy of 100 ft. pine trees so yes the light is limited mostly to late afternoon. Also the soil...well, I call it that...it's really just red clay mostly. They're hardy enough alright, I just wish to avoid cutting them all the way back to the stump and starting over if I can. If that's what I end up doing then it's best to wait until spring?? Oh, and they're cut in a perfect rectangle so the tops are the same as the sides, it's just underneath that they're bare. I'm kind of scared of cutting them all the way back to the stump...I don't want to kill them. They were around long before I lived there (10 years) so I can't speak for the neglect that took place when they were young. I assume they weren't pruned properly then??

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would start by trying some fertilizer and possibly a auxin of some sort or gibberillic acid. I'm past my comfort level even discussing these things but I use a consultant that uses these products to correct problems like you have. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on site can teach us both something.