Boxwood Leafminer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shovelracer, Jun 4, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got 2 boxwoods that are hurting pretty bad from Leafminer larva. Whats going to get these back in shape the fastest? Ive got Acephate WP 75 and Imidacloprid. I was thinking a Mycotab for each as well. Thanks

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Foliar 2/3 lb of the Orthene T,T&O wsp Now (if the small orange larve are indeed still inside the leaves, and Drench with Merit 75wsp (low rate) in September with a Fall root feeding. You want to use the Drench Method at the Boxwood roots are very shallow, and if you soil inject, likely will apply to low under root system.

Annualy DRENCH with Merit @ the low rate in Sept, for protection from the adults flies that will lay their eggs in the Boxwood Leaves....Then no damage from the Larva.

This what I do, and it works the best.

Pete

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

heritage

I have found Merit granules to be more cost effective and work better than WSP Merit. I like the granules better because of better up take and being able to selective treat individual shrubs. No use of treating shrubs that don't have problems, and yes here in the bug capital we have shrubs that never have problems.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

We treat our boxwoods in the spring with merit. About 100 or so 6-8 footers

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,

I recall the 5G Merit some years ago for HW Adelgid. What % is the Merit granular you are using?

Could be less labor intensive on plants that do not need a root feed at the same time.

Pete