Boxwoods

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shayes2953, Aug 17, 2007.

1. shayes2953

shayes2953 LawnSite Member

I have a house that is landscaped with boxwoods and they have been there for 10 or more years. I have already had to pull one up this year and a couple more of them are close. The leaves are turning brown in spots and the bushes are slowly disentigrating. Any suggestions??

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a busy week boxwoods and bag worms. Boxwoods are old and
    probably over grown its hard to tell without looking at them water or soil.

3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Shayes,

Boxwoods can get a disease called "Volutella Canker" which causes exact symptoms you describe.....Then another disease usually follows called "Macrophoma Leaf Spot"

Cut an affected branch below canker (where live tissue meets dead tissue) and bring it to your county cooperative extension, to have tested.

If that confirms this disease, they will recommend a spray program 2-3X a year to protect new growth from becoming affected. Cut out the dead branches regularly too.

I spray 2x a year (late spring and late summer) for the disease here, as well as any Pachysandra nearby that can "Host" and get this disease too.

Keep the Boxwood mulched (only 1-2 inches max) also to minamize another pest, Nematodes. They damage the root system. The mulch helps to stimulate the antagonists of these Nematodes and help keep them supressed.

Have the dead branches tested. Then follow recommendations thereafter.

Pete D.