Boy did I get ripped off.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WiCraig, Feb 4, 2005.

1. WiCraig

WiCraig LawnSite Member

i just got a 1964 8N for planting/harvesting potatos and pulling out stumps. I heard it run over the phone and when he dropped it of the traler. I filled it up with desel fule and when i turn the key it does not crank. am i looking at big problems. how much does it cost to fix this.
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Let me see if I got this right, you said you heard it running over the phone (phone must of been in the way)and when he dropped it of the traler(must of been a strong guy) you heard it running. Now it won't crank. Wrong key??? Wrong fule??? Wrong tractor??? Wrong Bar??? The big guy STOLE the starter??? Good luck.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I really don't intend this to sound as mean spirited as it does, but..... There is so many things wrong with this whole post that it has to be a joke! The tractor was to far away to actually go look at but close enough for delivery, I don't think that Ford even made an 8N in 1964, 8N's run on gasoline not deisel, and somehow either the battery or starter went out on the trip to drop it off.
    Are you sure that this is how it went?
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Nailed it...
  5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong fuel fool. To my knowledge, the never made an 8N that ran on diesel. And as Kerrturf said, they did'nt even make the 8N in 1964.
  6. WiCraig

WiCraig LawnSite Member

I am cutting trees to plant more potatoes. I will have stumps in the spring i will have to burn them if i cant use the tractor and it will take a long time.
  7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford didn't make the 8N in 1964, didn't make any of them to run on diesel no matter what year.
  8. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Pulling stumps with this tractor is very dangerous. It literally takes one second for the tractor to spin over and crush the driver. Many, many good men have killed themselves doing this.
    See the attached link for one recent story of someone who nearly crushed himself last week.
    Use the right tool for the right job.

As for your mechanical issues ... you'd do well to find someone in your area who is familiar with ford tractors. Have him over for a beer and ask him to show you around your new tractor.

Once you learn the basics, you'll be much better off.

Good luck, be safe.
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

try siphoning out the diesel and use gas.
  10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys in Craig's defense, he want's to know how much to fix it. He already knows that he put the wrong fuel in it. You guys must not speak WISCONSIN.