boyght a new trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by befnme, Feb 1, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a new 8 x 16 landscape trailer today .they guy i bought it from had a very sturdy gate built and put on it and it is very heavy . how do i put spring assist on it .got any pics ? or drawings ?

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the link...........:waving:

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

This is what I use, it consist of 2 eye bolts and a garage door spring. I know there could be some liabilities with this set up. but it cost about 35 bux for both sides.

wayne

Picture014g.jpg

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mean to stir anything up...BUT...that looks real dangerous. Do a search on here and look at some of the set-ups the others have. I think you are running a lot of liability issues with that open set-up. Again, not stirring the pot...BUT...would hate to see someone get hurt.

6. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

my set up includes a garage door spring also, but I enclosed mine in a schedule 80 pipe so none of the spring was exposed, I will post some pics tomorrow. Right now the local home depot has those springs clearanced at $10, My system has been going strong for about 2 years now with no problems. The tension is just right so that I can lift with 1 finger.

7. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

I just looked at the link above, I will sell you the kit for $150, how many you want? my set up looks alot like that.

8. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I made mine with a torsion garage door spring. It sits on a shaft under the trailer and the shaft has pulleys on each end. Then cables run up to the tail gate. It works just like your average garage door. I had been using the system for about seven years and finally the spring busted this year. No damage done because the spring is located harmlessly under the trailer.