BP Blower won't idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJ Contracting, May 4, 2008.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now i know that i'll catch some flack for this purchace but, i need some advice on how to fix this problem.

I have a Homelite BP blower that will not idle and i have to run it about 3/4 on choke i took off the air cleaner off and there is no filter just a screen, anyway is there a idle mixture/part throttle screw that i can adjust? I have mixed both 40-1 and 50-1 fuel with no difference.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Check the plug to see if its fouled out. Also, check your spark arrestor screen on the exhaust.
    Also, if you take the fuel cap off while running the unit, does the running condition change?

3. DJ Contracting

Thanks i'll check the plug and screen, i did try the fuel cap and it does not change.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It sounds like a air leak, if you have some carb cleaner, spray around all the gaskets going from the carb to the cylinder while it is running and see if there is a change. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I've never seen a Homelite blower :)

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago I had the exact same problem with mine. I got fed up trying to fix it, and ended up buying an Echo - it beats the Homelite in all areas.

Same as Breezmister, all I could figure was that it was some sort of air leak - never could get it to work any better.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you got exactly whatn you paid for -crap! hope you learned a lesson

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Many years back, I came across a blower that had this problem, found that the leak was at the insulator/spacer between the carb and the cylinder. I put new gaskets on and tested it. Still had the problem, an air leak. So after trying this that and the next thing, I gave in and called the tech line for that brand. So after explaining the problem and what I had done, the tech suggested that I check the insulator for square, and if it wasn't, take some emmory paper and sand it until it was square.
    To make a long story short. What happened was that with repeated heating and cooling cycles, the insulator warped at the cylinder side just enough that a gasket could not seal. But the emmory paper and a flat surface did the trick :laugh:

8. DJ Contracting

1,792 post and you don't use the spell check thanks anyway NOT.
    As for everyone else thanks for the replies, when i get a chance i'll check it out.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

well you still got what you paid for-crap. its false ecomony to buy homeowner stuff to try to earn a living with .

10. DJ Contracting

I'm sorry i don't see any of your stuff listed as far as making a living i do pretty well for only having a limited time cutting unlike Florida when you can cut year-round, being in the business for thirty years i' sure you have only the best equipment and yours is better than everybody else, and you can do a better job, or you can do the job faster, do you see where i'm going with this, anyway this will be the last time i respond to you Joe.