Br 550 blower overrrun?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenfrog, Apr 14, 2012.

1. greenfrog

greenfrog LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl BR 550 blower. When I hit the stop lever to shut it down it continues to sputter and run for a few seconds. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check the plug--if there is excessive carbon buildup on the plug, it may still be hot(similar to glowing embers) which may continue to support combustion after shut down.

If that is not the problem, try letting it idle a bit before shutting it off.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Aint broke don't mess with it beyond the plug thing. Big engines shut down bett er from full throttle. Now if it is running backwards that is another matter and better get it fixed.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for a sheared flywheel key, the BR500-550-600 will all run (not real well) with the key sheared. Your complaint is one of the signs....
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My 8001 has never shut off instantly when hitting the off-button at idle speed.
  6. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

My BR600 sounds like it runs backwards for a few seconds when it is hot and I run 87 octane fuel. Running 93 it happens very rarely. Checking the plug for carbon deposits is a good idea. If it has carbon deposits it is very likely the piston and combustion chamber do also.