BR 600 4 mix question.......owners please read

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver, Sep 26, 2005.

1. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

I have recently (thurs) just purchased a Stihl BR 600. I am very pleased with its power and light weight.While I was reading the operators manual, it said to use 89 octane. How important is this? How does it affect performance if I use 87? Thank you for your help.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I use 92 or 93 in all my equipment. 4 mix edger, trimmer, blower, mowers and truck

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I keep trying to tell you guys to stop using 87 crapane but nobody ever listens...

Bp 93 minimum (ok 92 is good lol), I use a 95 octane semi-leaded off-road blend myself.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In the two stroke blowers/trimmers the 89 is just fine. And if you want additional cleaning add a little Seafoam occassionally.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used 87 octane for years with no problems. All my handhelds are Stihls, new and old. The 4 mix works perfect as do all the machines.

6. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

We used 87 for a long time too, but a year or two ago we started have carb probs on all of our stihl equipment. Our dealer said to change to a high octain non alcohol gasoline and we haven't had problems since.

Bob :D :D

7. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

What is your reason for using another octane fuel?...If it is cost, figure that there is a small difference between the low grade and mid grade fuel...there is no advantage with running 93 in 2 or 4 cycle engines...the engines will run hotter and that is what you DON'T want...If it says 89, then run 89...There is NO reason to run 93 in anything, even vehicles, unless it is a porche, corvette, etc...it is a WASTE of money, and the oil gougers love you for using the 93...Use 89 like Stihl suggests...they are the billion plus dollars company--they know what they are talking about...

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry... that's bull... higher the octane, the cooler the engines run.
    My forearm don't lie.

Run atleast 89 in Stihl products... and 92-93 if feasable.

Personally, I have recently converted to BP/Amoco 93 in all my equipment.
    Testing the white gas = less varnish/gum/buildp in small fuel delivery parts.
    Plus I have found for a fact they run cooler which is a real plus if you personally run a trimmer for solid hours on end in 90+ degree temps, only breaking to re-fuel.

I also like Opti-2 mix oil.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

envy, have you tried echo oil? I found it to be a great improvement over the shindaiwa oil as far as starting and cooler running. also a nice power jump.

if you have tried it, how does it compare to opti-2?

I am not sure which one has the lowest flash point, but I am sure the echo oil flashpoint is lower than the shindaiwa.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, haven't used any of the new Echo oil. Only the old Echo oil that came with a blower... and that was the last I used of that. I'll look into that new stuff sometime though. It's either rich or good to protect those new Echo engines.

Opti-2 is good stuff... long term proof in the pudding user here... but I'm currently trying the ALCO Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke oil w/stabilizer. It also seems to be very good oil... but not as clean/smokless as the Opti-2.