BR400 ... did I kill it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, May 3, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I know, you're gonna say this was dumb. And I agree. Had a plug foul out on the BR400 and didn't have a spare for it on hand. So, rather than cannibalize another piece of equipment for it, I stuck in a reular spark plug, the kind I use on the mower. DUH!! I noticed today that it was growling. So, I check the plug and it was loose! Figured out real quick that was because the engine had knocked it back out, seeing as how I couldn't get it to crank with it tightened all the way down. I noticed then that the plug was shot, gap bent, ceramic busted, etc. So, I tossed it and took the plug out of my push-blower, which fit great. Only, now it -really- growls and seems to knock/ping some. Not to mention that now it has about as much power as a Poulan hand-held blower/vac, on a good day. So, what can I do? I would rather fix it than just buy a new one. Thanks guys, blow me away!
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like bad has happened. Possibilities are metal still inside, scored walls, dented piston, other bad occurances involving spending money to repair/replace. I'm not gonna beat you up on this one, we all do things we wish we hadn't.
  3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have over 30 different pieces of equipment and it seems like each has its own special spark plug. I learned a long time ago to carry a small toolbox with a list inside of each engine and the plug it requires. Some of these plugs (like the NGK-BPR4HS-10 for the Kubota gas engine) have to be ordered by the dealer because of some sort of special gap it requires.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your problem. I suggest you take the head off the engine and at least look at the piston. May be cracked. Or at least sounds as if that has happened.
    Please post your results.
  4. Well at least yours starts!
    I stopped at the local 7-11 B-4 work for some java and had an LCO there (the new guy) with all new stuff. Trying like crazy to start the brand new BR400 and just couldn't. Well I'm a Shin man through and through but I recall the posts on Lawnsite bout keeping the BR at full throtttle on startup. I mention this to the LCO and he said its all the wayy up. So da bugga was flooded! I asked if he had a plug wrench and he said no. I pull mine out go to rectify the prob but he said no its new machine don't touch, so I backed off and gave him my best wishes. When I left he was using the new Makita hand held as the tool of choice and I went to my first account,pull out the ol BP-45 Shin and she starts on first pull (mines 7 years old!).
    I refuse to get carple tunnel trying to start a machine that should only take two pulls!
    And so much for trying to help a fellow LCO. Although I admit I was probably too close for comfort to the guys ego!
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

65hoss has a method of starting his br400 when it's flooded, i'll let him share it. and it works every time.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hey paradise--if you guys knew so much about the BR-400, you shoudda used the plug wrench that is stored under the bottom. I'll bet I could flood your shindawa not knowing anything about it the first time I tried to start it.;)

by the way, there's a torx head driver on the end of the plug wrench and a small screw driver under the bottom also. really convenient if you ever eventually need them.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Occasionally anything will flood. Its real easy to fix the problem. Pull the air filter off and cover the carb opening. Starts everytime. On the BR400, I use my palm and cover it just long enough to pull the cord. If you ever have a mower that floods, pull the filter off and stick a rag in the carb and pull. As soon as it starts remove the rag.
  8. Sorry boys I've never flooded my Shins. Been around since 1985 and can't recall flooding as a problem. Now water in the gas, dirty filters (air & gas), no spark yadda yadda yadda, thats been my experience on very rare occasions. But carpal tunnel from trying to start a blower, never!

BTW I did tell the guy at 7-11 that the br 400 was a nice machine.

I would'nt buy one however. Just my--whatevah.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Back to the original question, try to get the plug that should be in it. I cant see it being a cracked piston, and still running being a 1 cylinder engine. I could be wrong, but seems that it wouldnt evan start then.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sorry island guy--I just got to argue with you. I know a little something about carpal tunnel syndrome...and you don't get it from yanking on a starter rope.

in fact you are closer to getting carpal tunnel from keyboarding these posts than you would if you yanked a BR-400 starter rope all day with the kill switch on off.

just so you know.