1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BR400 no power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stuttering Stan, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it needs a carb adjustment but I am not sure which knob controls what, for those that are not familiar with a BR400 blower, its 2 red knob beside each other, I tried adjusting them but no change, maybe i' m not doing it right.
  2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the screen thats inside the exhaust hole. Sometimes that clogs up and you have no power. Check that first. If thats not it take the muffler right off and make sure the opening from the cylinder is not plugged up.
  3. BlackVCG

BlackVCG LawnSite Member

Up and to the right of the choke knob are two adjusting screws. The one on the left is the High Speed and the one on the right is the Low Speed mixture adjustment.

They have limiter caps on them, so you can only adjust them so far.

Some other things you might want to check before messing with the carb.

Spark Plug: Make sure it's not carbon fouled and the gap is good.

Muffler Spark Arrestor: Take off the blower plastic housing so you can get at the clip that holds in the arrestor screen. Squeeze the clip and pull it out. If it's heavily carbon fouled, that's most likely the problem. Clean it with a wire brush and degreasing compound. They say to use kerosene, but not many people just have that laying around.

Fuel Filter: Check it to make sure it's clean.

Fuel cap vent: Make sure the cap is venting properly and the air passages in it aren't plugged.

If none of those work, then you're going to have to dig into the carb.
  4. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

The biggest problem I have seen with that model is crank seals leaking , Pull the pull start off and just look and see if there is some oil in there...
  5. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

or you can pull the muffler off and see if the port is clogged with carbon...