BR400 problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rickco, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I've got a few year old (5) br400 back pack blower that is always giving me grief. Sometimes it will run fine for 2 or 3 hours then just quit and wont restart. sometimes its only 2 minutes. My dealer refuses to beleave it's a electrical problem and has replaced the fuel cap. I think its something in the coil. Does anyone have a similar problem or any advise? How much is the coil to replace or is there a better coil out there?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

when it won't restart - have you checked for spark?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had a coil problem on Stihl trimmer like you described. I got a volt meter and measured resistance from spark plug wire to ground. Then I set up the unit on a table and run it until it stopped, then I immediately read the resistance. I don't remember the resistance reading but they changed significantly and it confirmed I had a coil problem. Maybe someone or dealer can tell you what resistance you should measure cold.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suspect the coil seeing as I have replaced lots of them and I am not even a Sthil Dealer the old coils had a white body you can see it from the shroud opening the new ones I have been receiving are black. No better coil then the new one a dealer will sell you price for the coil is around $35-$40. Also check your fuel lines the original ones(black and say sthil) tend to crack and create lots of running issues.

5. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I trust you have done the usual; exhaust screen, repower kit (I think that is what they call a spark plug, air filter, new fuel tank screen and lines maybe). You should also make sure your cap vent is in good order; I don't care if it is new. I have gotten bad 'new' stuff before, and will again. 5Yrs is enough time such that you should go through it and look for anything, from new pull start cord to exhaust components and anything in between.

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get your br-549 going?
    Your dealer may be right. I know sometimes these guys don't actually dig into problem before jumping to conclusions, but I have a Cricket(?) orchard sprayer with a 55cc Kaw. I use it as a leaf blower. Well, as you know, it is "that time". Well, when I got it out this weekend I remembered something I forgot to include in my post above. I have to flail on the side of my carb with a huge 8mm combination wrench EVERY time I want to start it. I have taken it apart and checked for anything wrong repeatedly. Something is sticking with the needle valve. I put up with it because I can't seem to get it to go by itself.
    You might consider this.