1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BR420 Stihl vs. 155 Husky BP Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Aug 9, 2001.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I"m gonna buy a new back-pack blower tomorrow and these are the 2 I've narrowed it down too. I ran a search on blowers and didn't find much info on either of these. I've never had a bp blower so I don't know much about 'em. Only dealers in town sell Stihl, Husky, and Redmax, I know alot of ya'll like the Redmax, but I totally detest the local Redmax dealer, so that leaves the Stihl 420 or the Husky 155. Which blower do you think is the best and why? THANKS
  2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

My Husky 155 starts on the first pull every time and performs flawlessly every time. I swear the choke unnecessary. The air flow is strong yet you can finesse the throttle as well. I can pluck Pine bark nuggets out of 3.5" tall fescue and deposit them onto a mulch bed as well as clear a 20 foot wide driveway of wet grass clippings in a single pass.

The housing and frame are bulletproof yet the harness hardware is low grade. After about 2 months of use the waist belt buckle shattered then the shoulder harness lower coupling got all cockeyed and bent and fell off.
    By the way, I am solo and baby my equipment.

Other than these annoying inconveniences the thing just runs and runs and is very lightweight.

I will say I have seen many many other blowers that look just like Husqvarna's with different colored plastic blower housings. John Deere and Vandermolen come to mind. They must have a manufacturer in common.

I cannot comment on Stihl because I have never used one.
    Stihl's design does appear to be proprietary.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't have experience with either.

but I have had a good experience with the br-400.

check out the br-420 and let us know.

4. Dennis Moon

Dennis Moon LawnSite Member

I have a BR 400 and I hate it because it is sooo hard to start. It takes 3 to 5 hard pulls on the rope every time I start it. It has been like this since day one. It is well built and does a good job, just hard to start. If I had it to do over I would buy a Redmax. I have a Redmax trimmer and I love it. It starts on the first or second pull every time. Never owned a Redmax PB blower though.
  5. geogunn

from TN

dennis--please tell me that you are kidding by carping that it takes you 3 to 5 pulls to start your BR-400 blower.

by the way I have kinfolk in dresden.

6. Dennis Moon

Dennis Moon LawnSite Member

geo, no I'm not kidding. Sometimes I want to throw it in the dump. But when I get it started it works fine. Even after it has warmed up I most always have to pull the rope 3 times.

Who is your kin folk here?
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new BR400 this year and LOVE IT! Mine starts on the first or second pull every time. Once I start it at the begining of the day, it always starts on the first pull. The power is very impressive. If I were to do it all over again, I would get another BR400.
  8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have experience with both- Husky starts easy, is quieter than the Stihl, is lighter too.

9. geogunn

from TN

dennis--one man's scourge is another man's blessing! those three yanks for such a great machine are a small price for me to pay.

I would gladly make you a lowball offer for your pesky machine if we were located close enough to deal. I happen to be looking for a second machine that I can leave at a property that I own.

I am kind of estranged from my kinfolk there in dresden. I have never been there but I need to get out that way one of these days.

10. lawnperfections

lawnperfections LawnSite Member

I love my 420, starts easy and its got big time power.