BR550 or 600?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I posted this in the wrong section by mistake...so let me try this again... If you could get a Stihl BR550 for $380 or a Stihl BR600 for $500...which would you buy and why?

Ive just about decided to by a Stihl blower and these are the deals I have found...I appreciate your opinion.

2. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

I have the 600's. I've never tried the 550's. The 600's are great. I always buy the most powerful (when it comes to moving leaves and debris) because you never know when you are going to need it.

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

The bigger the better. Size matters.

4. TNT MOWING

TNT MOWING LawnSite Member

I had the same problem when i was chosing 550 or 600. The 600 is just a little better. I figured is it worth the extra mph or cfm compared to the money. Get an extra 5-10 mph and i forget cfm for an extra hundred dollars just was not worth it to me. Just my thoughts for ya. By the way i got the 550, works great.

5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I test drove the 550 and the 600, they both did the same job, only the 600 got the job done faster. But god does it like gas, wow, I have never seen a 2 cycle engine that likes to eat gas like it does.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Guys hate to take over the thread, but I run Stihl FS250r's, MS290's HS90's, and when it comes to Blowers Stihl has dropped the ball, I only run Shindaiwia EB630's, sold all my Stihl blowers the next day but one BR420C magnum for back-up. The Shindaiwia EB630 is 210MPH 850CFM, can blow a brick across the street with it. So demo a Shindiawia you won't be disapointed.

7. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

The 600 eats alot more gas? That would be one thing to consider with $4 per gallon on the horizon. My EB630's go thru a tank of gas (67.6oz) in about an hour...talk about a gas hog!

8. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

I agree the Shindaiwas blow great....my only problem I have had with them are little annoying stuff...like the tubes going from the carb to the fuel tank come loose and give you a gas bath...the wires connecting the stop button never staying together...the tubes not locking together well. Not major stuff, but enough to make me consider a new brand.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Switch to a synthetic 2-stroke you will see, almost 35 more minutes of use, Plastic tie wraps solve those little problems:cool2:, EB630, Nothing is more powerful for the money, the engine runs forever, you can run one EB630, against two BR600's blowing wet leafs, the EB630 will finish first every time.

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I had my dealer on sale at $299 for BR550 and $379 for BR600 and I did not buy it. Read all the posts here on reliability first. I am making too many enemy if I keep hopping on this.