BR600 4-mix won't idle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Three weeks ago today I purchased a new Stihl BR 600.

Ran it for about 6 hours yesterday at full power. No issues yesterday or in the three weeks we've owned it. Put over 50 hours on it so far.

Today, I go to start it and nothing. I thought maybe I flooded it, so I pulled the old plug, put in a new one, and it still won't go. Got it running but it was spitting and sputtering, white smoke pouring out the exhaust. Air filter is a little dirty.

Every time I get it going, if I press the primer bulb every several seconds, it continue to run---rough.

Took it to the dealer, they wanted to keep it, backed up for a couple of days, so I took it back home and have been trying to get it to stay running without me pushing the bulb. Any chance that the in-tank fuel filter may be clogged?

What do you think is wrong with this extremely efficient blower? I used our BG85 today and my arm is about ready to fall off!

Thanks for the help.

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Spark arrestor plugged?

3. Two Seasons

I'm not sure, but I'll check that too.

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the arrestor- dealer said if the machine is not getting 89 octane there will be problems.

So 87 octane is a NO NO. Good luck
    let us know

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

White smoke would be a seal wouldnt it?

BTW if your dealer took it and is working it he should provide a backup of equal or greater value to you while he is fixing HIS product the HE sold you.

6. Two Seasons

We use 89 octane.

Screen is dirty, not gummy like you'd expect a 2-cycle to be (even though this is a 4-cycle engine) but I'll clean it. It was real easy to get out.

Regarding the dealer---I asked if I could get a loaner---No---so I asked if I could rent one---No---you could say that I'm not too pleased about all this as we have spent about $3500 with them.

Do you guys know how to fish out the in-tank fuel filter?

And thanks for the replies so far. We are in full blown fall cleanup so this stinks big time!

7. Two Seasons

Update:
    Spark arrestor screen is gummy!

8. Two Seasons

Update:
    Spark arrestor screen now clean. Boy was it dirty!

9. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Try using a coat hanger to reach your in tank filter. This time of the year, it's hard to believe that your dealer is that far behind. Especially if you have spent that much with him!!!!

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Are you using straight gas or gas/oil mix?