BR600 Valve drop problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dennys-lawn, Feb 14, 2008.

1. dennys-lawn

dennys-lawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone other than us had problems with valves dropping out of these blowers. We have dropped 2 in the last year and both were just out of warranty (few months). My dealer would be happy to install valve kit for $376.00. I can by a new one for $495.00 and have one years warranty. Does anyone know if Stihl is aware of this and if so do they offer help with repairs? I have talked with other LCO'S in the area and they too are having the same trouble as us. Dealer also tells me that the 2 new 2008 model BR600's I just bought have been re-designed not too drop.......we'll see?

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, funny you posted this.... I dropped a valve a lil' over a month ago... JUST after putting a new carb on the blower. Machine ran fine with the new carb.... 2 days later... it took a shi* on me. I went off on the dealer... told me to purchase everything to rebuild the piston and whatnot.... Naturally I hesitated as he wanted just about the same $$$ as a new one. The next day he called me and put it under warranty. Runs like brand new.
    Warranty was up a year ago. :cool2:

Actually I convinced my NOT to rebuild.... so I bought a BR550.... and THEN he came back to me and warrantied the 600...

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you tried red max?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There were Lot's of valve problems with the early models. Stihl was aware of the problem but this problems is supposed to be fixed in the newer models. I'm still gun shy of the 4 mix but haven't heard many problems lately. Heres and older post, read it all and you will find some that had a lot of problems. If yours is an early model call stihl and try to get some help. It was a well known problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198222&highlight=Stihl+valve+dropped

Quote about what dealer had "He had about a dozen of them sitting there in a box. All of them had the dropped intake guide just like is shown in the pic. Then he showed me my new engine and the guides were both back up at the top. BTW, I didn't say the guide caused the valve to break"

5. Carolina Cuts

but that won't match the rest of my orange equipment.... :laugh:

truth is, I'm pretty happy with Stihl... The power of the 550 and 600 is unbelievable... both start with one pull, including the 600, now almost 3 years old. In fact all my stihl equipment starts with one pull years later... and for me, that says alot... because well, I'm not exactly the most dedicated routine maintenance mechanic.

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

hmmm. I am still iffy about 4 mix stuff. I like my redmax and echo for blowers. Never let me down.

7. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

I've heard of this issue as well as many others from several end users.
    4 stroke "hybrid" stuff... too many moving parts in such a small package for me.
    It just hasn't been proven to be a cost-effective and durable way of meeting emmissions regulations yet.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong...

8. Carolina Cuts

not a big fan of the 4-mix either.... but I will say this... I have a 2 stroke and the new 4mix.... both stihl.... and the 4 mix is way better on gas... I'll bet I can fill the 2 stroke twice before refilling the 4mix.

another PLUS... the dealer is 3 miles from front door. Anything else is 10+ miles.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Stihl has got to fix these 4 mix problems...Their old 2 cycle stuff is awesome, but I am reading about WAY too many problems with the 4mix.

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

my br600 did it, it was under warranty though