BR600 vs EBZ8000... the numbers tell all, Stihl wins.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

After seeing the argument over and over I put some numbers to it.
    I'm leaving price out because it fluctuates wildly, but it is generally in favor of the Stihl.
    The numbers I used are:

.......................Weight.......Cfm w/o Pipe.......Cfm w/ Pipe
    Stihl:................21lbs.........1012..................712
    Redmax:...........25lbs.........943....................688

The Stihl weighs 16% less, makes 7% more CFM without the pipe and 3% more with the pipe.
    The Stihl is 16% quieter (78 vs 65 dBa)

Furthermore:
    The Stihl is fully enclosed, well protected and wont snag on stuff.
    It burns less fuel, so it needs to carry less.
    The EBZ's whopping 5 pound fuel load is almost twice as heavy and is located further away from your back than the Stihl's fuel load.
    Overall, the Stihl is closer to your back, making it feel lighter than it is.

The Redmax has a better warranty.

I think some of you are claiming the the EBZ is more powerful simply because it makes more noise.

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Im preety sure those are they dry wieght numbers also. So then you have to add not more then a pound or 2 to the stihl but 5 to the redmax!! You didnt even include price! Im preety sure stihl is 100 cheaper. Atleast it was at my state fair.

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I truly wish what you posted is true. My Stihl dealer is awesome. Having owned both there is no comparison the Redmax is much more powerful. That is the reality not just my opinion.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's no secret to anyone here that I'm about the biggest Stihl fan here.

But the truth is that they fell behind on brute power in backpacks years ago.
    Until the 4-mix engine and BR600, they didn't really have anything for Echo and RedMax.

Now they have a real nice package.
    But it's still green/wet behind the ears too.
    And it's also pretty evident to me they are having problems with uniformity.
    So while I may eventually go all 4-mix, it won't be tomorrow.

Also... not to burst your bubble... but the published RedMax numbers are AVERAGE cfm (across the rpm range I guess) and not MAX cfm like Stihl is advertising. Due to the lack of uniformity between BR600 blowers, I think Stihl might live to regret putting those numbers out there.

By lack of uniformity, I mean for example I think the BR600 is great, but some reputable guys here have returned them for lack of power too, soo...

One thing is for sure though, and there's no doubt about it...
    The 8001 moves MORE air... no question.

The new design of the 8001's makes them very comfortable too, despite the fact they are without question HEAVIER than the BR600's. Between the Stihl BR600's, Echo 751's and RedMax 8001's... I'm personally finding that the overall comfort and fatigue levels are pretty much a wash.

In the end though, the BR600 is nice, tight, compact, ergonomic and well protected. It's hard to get used to the 8001's due to this. I'm a few weeks in already and I still find myself banging into stuff because they stick out so far off the back.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, big difference. MUCH bigger than 16%

Decibel is basically a logarithmic ratio. If you compare 2 sounds...lets say one is 60 dB and the other is 70 dB. The one that is 70 is actually 10 times louder than the one that is 60. 78 vs 65 dB is a whole lot more than 16% :)

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You are right Envy on the br600 as far as light and nice on the back. The power is way off compared to ebz.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh.. that's true and I forgot to address that at all.

The EBZ's sound like a Honda CR80 on your back and they are not far from it really... LOL.

They are "tingy" like a dirtbike or boat motor at idle, and a hair worse without the screen.
    They are LOUD at idle... but actually get quieter when reved.

The BR600 is a lot quieter, no question.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

The br600, blows like a 45cc blower would, about 3/4's of the 8000/8001. Take my opinion as you want, I've run both in the field, the stihl is a piece of junk. The only good thing is there lightweight, but to me it makes it feel fimsly. I had very little respect for a stihl, going way back to my logging days, but decided to try one on everyones praise of it on here and elsewhere, now theres no respect on my part, its a waste of my time to walk in a stihl dealer as of now. But thats my opinion, may not be yours.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The 600 is awesome for blowing around the homes and foundations and for blowing leaves out of the bushes buy the homes windows. The 8000 will move the piles from there.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we bought a br600 last year and i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread...
    but we are now having a lot of issues with it.
    the power had dremetically decreased, and the unit will not idle. We have had it ti the dealer several times and it's STHILL not right..lol