1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bracket/roller wear update!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 13, 2003.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

This is an update for those that are interested. I've seen several posts about people asking how these units will hold up. As you know I re-positioned my roller to rest on the ground so the weight of the deck would help push down the grass. While this does work, I've also experienced some issues with belt wear. The main cause of this is due to a design flaw on my deck, which I remedied from a conversation with Gravely, however, I did start to think back and realized that my deck was hopping around a lot more. It only happens on one area of my yard but that extra bouncing was probably aiding the wear issue. So, yesterday, I disassembled everything while I made the fix to my deck. I inspected the roller and it is still in great condition. The axle is still totally straight, added some Lithium spray grease and the bearings are still as smooth as the day I bought it!!! This is great for anyone interested in how the roller is holding up. There are scratches and nicks all over the roller, however, no rust or signs of failure anywhere. Definitely a great product.

After inspecting the brackets, this was a different story. It seems that the mending plate I used was not quite thick enough. I also think because I hollowed out a grove so I could move the bracket up an down weakened them too much. They were definitely bent and in need of replacement. My recommendation to anyone doing this is go with the thickest gage steel you can work with easily. I ended up using a bracket used for building farm fences that is easily 3/8" thick or even thicker. It is heavy and a pain to cut, but I should have no issues with it bending. I re-cut, attached, and fitted to the deck. I also stuck a 3/4" piece of plywood under the roller to give me a bit more clearance. It might effect the striping a bit, however, I'm still getting great contact with the grass so It shouldn't be too noticeable. It will also aid in keeping it from getting hung up on the ground where it's uneven and when turning.

All in all, this is the best $30 i've spent on my machine and with the new brackets, I'm not planning on having to replace it for awhile.

Lets see some pics from everyone else who built one of these!! Bring em on!!:blob1: :blob4: :D :D