Bradford Pear Problem...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by horselady, Aug 31, 2005.

1. horselady

horselady LawnSite Member

Has anyone had problems with Bradford Pears this season? I have a customer who has had the Pear for 9 years and the leaves are turning brown and curling up. Nothing is visible on the tree.

Any suggestions? :help:
  2. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Could be fire blight or mites? Hard to tell with out seeing it. Picture? Are the ends of the branches dying as well?
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I also would ask if another tree or tall object to the south or west of it has been removed. Is it in the turf? Is there mower or trimmer damage to the trunk?
  4. Pro Lawn LLC

Pro Lawn LLC LawnSite Member

Without seeing the tree I would be inclined to lean towards L&G and the fire blight. Fire blight is actually a virus and the only thing that will control it is streptimycin - sp?. You will not only have to treat the tree itself, but any other pear trees nearby and either treat the leaves that have fallen off or burn them. Otherwise it will reinfect.
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of summer have you had? It could be as simple as drought.
  6. horselady

We have had 20+ 90 degree days. Last year we had none.

I'll get picture and post.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Fire Blight looks black and turns the stems and leaves black more than brown.Is the tree getting water?
  8. horselady

Here's a picture of a leaf and those on the tree. The neighbor across the street has the same problem with his pears.

We had a cool spring, and hot, dry summer. We just got 3.7 inches from Katrina. We are in a drought but we have had rain.

9. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

Is there any green left on the tree? When did the problem first start? I need to see a pic from father away. Looks like it could of possibly been blight but need more pics.
  10. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I'm curious to the remark about something to the south and west being removed-why is it specifically those areas??