1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bradford Pear runner sprouts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by K & K Mowing, Jun 5, 2013.

1. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has several approximately 8 year old Bradford Pears whereby at the ground level around the trunk base and out a few feet are several runners that sucker out feverishly. I was thinking of cutting these and putting Roundup on what's left to prevent re-generation but fear that the herbicide will get sucked into the trees system and kill or damage the existing tree. The ground around the trunk had been mulched at one time but the house was foreclosed on a few years ago and the mulch bed pretty much no longer exist. Any thoughts on how to manage these suckers appreciated. Another reason I hate Bradford Pears:mad:.

Regards, Kevin:usflag::drinkup:
  2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

3. TwoTinySprouts

TwoTinySprouts LawnSite Member

Definitely no round up, the tree can die. I usually just keep cutting the new growth off, to be honest. It's a part of spring and fall cleanup for me...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. K & K Mowing

Two Tiny and RodneyK, thanks! I cut the spouts off as near to the ground as I could about two weeks ago. The other day when I went back they continued to grow almost another foot in less than the two weeks. The Sprout Guard seems like the option for me.

Regards, Kevin:usflag::drinkup:
  5. K & K Mowing

Ok. where can you but this sprout-gard. Haven't found a place yet on line the carries it or even knows what this stuff is. Have found generaly not for sale to homeowners. This doesn't sound good.:confused: