Bradford pear trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TOSLC, Feb 14, 2001.

1. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I live in central Indiana, and was wondering if it would be O.K. to trim some Bradford pear trees this late in the winter. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

As I recall, late winter too mid-spring is the best time, unless they are brand new plants, then I would wait another year.

A lot of 'unscheduled' pruning here in NJ. The last storm seems to have taken off at least a branch off of every pear tree you see. Pears are such week street trees.

3. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

Prune out any dead or weak branches and any that are crossing that should be good for now
  4. Frank

Frank LawnSite Member

We plant a ton of those out here it seems pears and plums are the only trees that get planted by landscapers. if they are matured you shouldn't have a problem cutting back quite a lot. IM just speaking from experience so results may vary. I agree with everything Steveair said, they are weak trees try to clean out the middle as much as possible and maintain it that way, to build up strength.

5. BillW

BillW LawnSite Member

Don't delay... Now is the time to prune...before Feb is over. Much preferred to fall triming here in KS.
  6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Cut them back now. Get rid of any weak limbs. This type of tree brakes apart in higi winds easy.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Best Bradford pruning, for trees over 15 years old: chainsaw at ground level. Saves the added cost of removing the scarred carcass of the tree sometime in the next 10-15 years.
  8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Bradford Pear trees never bloom in New England! At least that is what all my customers complain about when they arrive back from Florida in June!
    Sorry, I know that wasn't what you where lookin for, but I always here these people in my head when I see a Bradford Pear.
  9. mbwent

mbwent LawnSite Member

Prune now, before they bloom!!!
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I was always told the best way to prune a Bradford Pear is 6 inches up from the ground with a chainsaw.

Talk your customer into replacing that waste of chlorophyll with a real tree.