Bradford Pears Suck!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Sep 12, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Well, my folks just lost their 3rd Bradford Pear Tree in the as many years. A couple of weeks ago, we had some pretty good storms with lots of wind, and the tree must have gotten a crack in it. Wednesday about a 1/3 of the tree was laying in the yard. They got it cut up and put it out to the curb. This morning, another 3rd was laying on the ground. I just got done helping them a bit ago cut the rest of it up and put it out to the curb. About the only good thing I see about these trees, is the fact that they grow fast. Other than that, they are just too darn weak. Too bad they still have 2 of them left in the yard. :( Anyone else have any negative experiences with Bradford Pears?

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I Love Those Trees I have my drive way lined with them

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct sir, Bradford pears do suck.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Had an icestorm last year and needless to say i didnt see one bradford pear in my neighborhood that wasnt in splinters. some were huge, providing the people that owned them with some pretty good shade. now they have none. Odd thing is people replanted them, eventhough in my opinion they are the weakest tree on the planet.

5. pottstim

They are nice to look at, no doubt. And they fill out really nice, too. But man, I could probably lean up against one and rip off a good fart and the thing would probably come tumbling down.

6. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

Bradfords require alot of prunning and triming especialy in the middle and the Y's in the limbs where weak points are . That,s what I'm doing now , cutting alot of the extra growth out caused by all the rain this year , before all the winter weather rips em apart . It also lets the wind get through alot better . Besides I'm charging extra and adding to the bottom line , no complaints from anyone.........

7. pottstim

Very good point, Curtis. I understand what you are talking about. This particular tree was loaded with little pears, and the branches weighed a ton. The pears were also full of water when I broke one of them open. I helped my folks prune those trees back last June, but it evidentally wasn't enough.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have never seen a bradford pear with a pear on it of any size. I thought it was a sterile hybrid.

9. pottstim

I'm not exactly sure, locutus. They did resemble a pear in a way, but they are tiny, maybe a 1/2" long or so. I just assumed they were called a pear, because of the name of the tree. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Bradford pears = Self destucting trees! They get too weighty for the crotches and and then w/ the help of a little limb, a massive section blows out. Most growers have switched to redspires or Cleveland select pears!