1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bradley 32" walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 17, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Winston pro, Redhawk, and grass viper ar the other names that Bradleys sell under.. you can pick one up for about $1100, (maybe less)... they have a 10.5 hp briggs..gear drive 32"

I was thinking of picking one of these up for those who call me with overgrown lawns.... also to use as a cheap back up mower... wont use it for my quality customers, but why not take the business of those who everyones passing up anyways. Not worth it on your ztr's to tear them up .. but I thought maybe a gran isnt such a bad investment to get the low lifes. I'll just charge $40 for a lawn which is typically $30 and tell them $55-60 if they want me to bag.

Ill also wait to the end of the day after Im done w/my regular routes, or in the early morning while the grass is still wet (where i would wait for my reg. customers).. or even on a rainy day (I know this would be hard on it... but still good to turn over some money even on the rainy days)

anyone have any experience with these mowers??/ or any other brands out there at this price???what have you heard??
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the names of some LS members... :dizzy:
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

That's One of the Best Business Plans I've heard on LS for a Long Time...

-Buy a Crap Mower w/Small Deck
    -Market to the "lowlifes" @ More than the Going Rate.
    -Cut them When the Grass Is Wet w/a Mower that Will Blow Chunks like a Sailor After a Night of Drinking
    -Charge the "lowlifes" double to bag

4. afftandem

Hey man, from experience, they call.. Ive had plenty... if that day Im not doin anything.. might as well make money off them to.. they wont call back and if they do its a month later.... if im too busy, then ill say im sorry but its too much for my mowers or ask a price that would be too much...and if they except, better for me. would never let it interfere with my good customers.. matter of fact, kinda consider it a 2nd job. Also would never take my nicer equip on it, thats why I was considering a bradley 32".... has to be 32 for the gates (and theyre cheap).

I would be upfront with them... tell them its best to bag and then start a normal schedule of mowing, and that if I just run over it to keep the city happy, then it'll still look like crap and be a bit@h of a mow next time.... Im really charging no more than its worth... someones goin to have to mow it.. might as well be me..
  5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You would have to do 100 of these lowlife cuts before you even pay for the lawnmower. Not counting the extra work etc. I would pass on this idea. Maybe buy a bed edger or something and offer that as an extra service. A $300 hedge trimmer will fill up some spare time and make you a good profit.

Didn't you just start a thread complaining about these lowlife cuts were you were charging $25 per cut. You charged one lady $35 and it took you 4 hours and she looked at you like you were charging to much? You should separate yourself from these types of headaches.
  6. afftandem

yeah, but then no truck and 21" craftsman and undercharging
  7. afftandem

maybe your right though... just thinking
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Oh, I'm right, I'm always right. Just kidding, but I do tell my kids that. I also tell them that the world doesn't revolve around them, it revolves around me. To be honest, I am wrong on both statements. The world does revolve around my kids and I am wrong sometimes, although it is very rare :).