Brain Storming Time

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Dec 17, 2007.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I read way to deep into this statement........LOL BOX

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I think your the only one who got the joke!

3. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

reminds me of the blank in the box skit on SNL.

4. nate mullen

nate mullen LawnSite Member

HID does't mean to bright, HID means and equels better Lumens per watt with a more spread out light pattern alowing the light to intersec and provide a larger, cohisive,connecting light on the ground which elimnates the darknes between the fixtues which I think will be hard to get with low voltage incandesent. That's my intent here anyway..............Which is probly why a demo is the ticket............... The other fact with HID is you will not have a VD problem. Which more than likely you will with a 12 volt system. Which is why I brought up 24 volts before. So if you demo with 12 volts fixtures make sure you duplacate the wiring method you a forced to use. I can't tell you how many time I have seen this fundamental mistake. Demo with 12 volts but then get 8 volts to the lamp. Anyway here to good lighting

5. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Mullen what is your opinion on this. I notice on commercial properties that have these huge jumbo 120v fixtures. The soft wide flood effect is so much more prevalent than with 12 volt lighting. It would take on average 3 to 4 LV fixtures to attempt to replicate what 1 of these lights does. I'm not talking about brightness but more coverage on what's being lighted, the width of the beam so to speak. Is it because of the width of the opening on the fixture , type of lamp, configuration of the fixture? Thank you for your time.

6. nate mullen

nate mullen LawnSite Member

Low voltage lighting is great for artist lighting............Landscape. Entry's, and a lot of other areas............For controlled beam spread and level of light. When you have a situation that calls for even foot-candles or higher levels of light NOT ARTIST HERE............. Parking lots. Tunnels, High traffic areas, streets and a lot of other places. it usually is more efficient to use a HID fixture more Lumen's per watt. A typical MR16 lamp (incandescent Halogen) is somewhere between 12 to 15 Lumen's per watt. Voltage really has nothing to so with this. It just that there are no 12 volt HID yet for landscape lighting ...............I'M working on that......... HID lamps are somewhere between 50 and 75 Lumen's per watt. Then combined with a reflector equals vary good light out put. FYI if I remember right ...it something like 100 percent of energy consumed in a incandescent only 10 percent is converted to light. Anyway just a quick response, these are deep subjects lots of variables...........got to go, Thanks, Nate

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

FYI I think there is now a MH 12v MR16 on the market. I can't remember who puts it our right now but I'll get back to you on that.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member