Brake controler problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Bunton Guy, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My brake controller on my truck keeps flashing Overload?? I cant figure out how to fix it. It all started when I got a flat tire and had to drive it back home 2-3 miles with it flat seing that it was a dual axle trailer it wasent a problem. Once I got home I threw on a brand new tire/rim and went back off to work and thats when I noticed the problem with the Overload light flashing on the screen. I checked for wires being pulled from flapping rubber but the wires are all run through the frame on the trailer. So later that month I rotated the tires on that side and the brakes started to work momentarely for about 5 minutes then it went back to flashing overload again. Anyone know whats going on here. The trailer is about 2 years old and this is the first of troubles with the brakes. I have checked the plug and it has no rust of any sorts on it.

2. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I am by no means a mechanic, but with the flat tire the brake on that particular wheel would have responded differently while driving. Maybe there is something wrong with the actual brake from lack of resistance from the short drive.

Scott

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Without knowing what type of controller you have, I'll take a stab with this: unhook your positive battery cable and keep it off for about five minutes. Perhaps this just might reset the controller.
    If that doesn't work, I would start continuity checks on your trailer wires all the way into the drum/disk (what ever your brake configuration is). A problem with flats on duals is the tire that isn't flat will generate enough extra heat to cook wires.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

SWD that would mean I would have to change wires from brake to plug right?

5. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

i am guessing that you have an activatorII controler. what i did to fix our problem when ours was flasing over load was to crank the power up to 10 then while driving at about 30-40mph hold the manual over ride lever untill they start working properly. i had ckecked all of the wires, grounds and magnets before doing so and they where all in working order.