Brake controller recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Jul 16, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a new trailer over the weekend. Finally have brakes on this one. Can anyone recommend a brand of brake controller? I have a 16' trailer that weighs about 3500 pounds including the trailer. I have a 2001 Chevy so it's all set up for trailers brakes.

2. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

I personally have a Tekonsha and haven't had a single problem. Mine will handle up to a three axle (all with brakes) trailer. I bought this controller for towing my everyday mowing trailer that is 16' x 8' tandem axle with brakes on each wheel. I seem to see a lot of this brand oof controler around here, they are very pop. especially with campers. I believe the controller was around $70.00 Hope this helps.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Tekonsha gets my vote also.
    Very easy to install, and very easy to adjust level.
    I tow a 20 ft 10k capacity trailer, and I have had it loaded to the max, and the controler works great.

Pj

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tekonsha is what I use also. It is set up to plug right into a plug under the dash to the brakes on my Ford. Easiest controller I've put in and it works just fine as others have said.

5. Alan

Alan Member

Tekonsha for me too,, the Voyager model. Got them in three trucks and no problems, the oldest is 4 years old.

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i used the tekonsha controller and didn't like it (wanna buy a nice slighty used one let me know)i went to the DRAW-TITE controller. at least this one has a LED readout of the voltage in .5 increments,and will show some self diagnostic readings.no stupid glowing dots to try to figure out.