1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brake Controller...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkwl, May 13, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking at getting a "new" landscape trailer with electric brakes. My question is- what electric brake controller would you guys recommend? My truck is an 03 GMC Sierra 2500HD. Trailer is listed here: http://albany.craigslist.org/car/631771051.html

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Also- how hard are these controllers to install- is this something I can do myself?
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

brand isnt much of an issue, there are several good brands, i use reese. they are VERY easy to install on that truck, if the truck doesnt have it already there is a pigtail that you buy that plugs into the underside of the dash and then match the color-coded wires to each other.
  4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Prodigy has one that u can get the plug adaptor for your truck, and plug it in under your dash...no splicing, soddering. Plug it in and go. Had one for my 05 silverado. Was too easy. My 07.5 dosnt have the plug in under the dash, just the pigtail...one of GM's bonehead moves:hammerhead:
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

But, they fixed their problem by having one built in the truck. They work pretty good.
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

If the truck came with a trailer towing package, it is a simple to do job. My 01 3500 came with a harrness to connect to whatever controller's lead that you bought. And the dash was already drilled under the steering column for it to be bolted in. Took less than an hour to install and test.
  7. Petr51488

from NJ

Oh, and don't just get any controller. They are not all built the same like stated before.The cheap ones are cheap. I hear the prodigy are great, and will do you good. I bought one that isn't digital, and also not cheap (around 60.00) and its ok, but the one that's in the 08 sierra, is great. There is a difference. Don't skimp out on something like a brake controller. Buy the best you can.
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Prodigy 2.6 is what I am using easy to install "plug &play" self leveling, digital readout for axle voltage, proportional braking is sweat It's not cheap at $120.00 it's most likly "too expensive" for the tight wads.
  9. Petr51488

from NJ

This seems like a good one. Like i said b4, don't go cheap on something that will save your life. You need good brakes and a better controller.