Brake controller

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike Blevins, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

What brake controller do you guys recommend? I bought a 2004 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 and will be pulling my new 25 ft. camper and need to get one installed. Also would it just plug into wiring harness or will I have to cut some wires. I meant to look today and forgot. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I'm actually looking into right now buy one. I'm looking into the getting the Tekosha Prodigy 3G. The wire harness is seperate that connects straight to the controller and then into your junction box right above the brake pedal. No wire splicing needed. 5 minutes to install. I'm probably going to get it. Very good on the market at what I heard. Very good reviews.

3. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

When we installed ours, if I remember this correctly, there is a wiring harness you just plug in under the dash and then its plug and play from the brake controller to the plug, I am not exactly sure, I'll take a look if the trucks around here tomorrow.. We found that out after the fact, we just wired it cause ours didnt have the harness(every chevy 2500/3500's should come with a wiring harness) and found out that we could've just used that instead of figuring out what each wire was..

5. 4.3mudder

The 1500's have them too, it is just a junction box right above the brake pedal. Plug in play, very simple.

6. Junior M

Ah, didnt know that, from what the salesman told me it was 2500 and 3500's only...

7. 4.3mudder

Ya he must have not known or he was wrong, mine is a 2004 Silverado 1500, heres the pics where it is, what it looks like, and where the wire for the chevy trucks go.

Photo0081.jpg

Photo0084.jpg

8. 4.3mudder

wrong one, heres the other

Photo0080.jpg

9. Junior M

Yeah, it was the same thing, the way he said it was that 2500/3500's should have the harness under the dash,(the way he said it made it seem like it was only 2500/3500's, it might be a mistake on my part) so you've just got to pull the bottom piece of the dash and boom there it is, just plug the controller into it.. Who knows, he gave us the wiring harness for free, it was $80 I believe, if our wiring didnt work or something went wrong..

10. 4.3mudder

Ya, just take the box and off, and it is the connector at the very top left corner, the next one over. Harnesses are made for certain brand plug n play things, I know the harness for the brake conroller I want to get is 14 bucks, no splicinfg required. 80 seems way too high. though.