1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brake controller

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 20, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Just bought a used Chevy 1500 extended cab.

I will be pulling 1 60" ztr but periodically add my walker or a second ztr. I have a 2500 diesel for heavy loads.

Should I add a brake controller to the truck? Trailer has brakes. Would it be worth it?

I have the truck harness. Could this be a do it yourself project? Can you recommend some good controllers and online stores to get them?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used the prodigy controller . I don't necessarily think you need a controller for your current application but they are certainly a useful thing to have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

A few years ago I t-boned a lady when she turned left in front of me. With a full size pickup you won't need the controller until that one time when you'd give anything to have it.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

I don't think it's necessary for what I will be hauling but figured a little braking help on the trailer would save the truck brakes .... Especially if a hourly employee is driving

I'm not familiar with good models but will take a look at the tekonsha prodigy.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Every thing works fine when it is dry but on a rainy day look out. I had a small two wheel trailer with a 36" and 21" mower and a few handhelds. On a rainy day it pushed my 97ford 250 off the road on a corner. I was like it was on ice I could hardly believe it.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

YES YES YES hook it up. Why would anyone even think this is a good idea, driving around with dysfunctional brakes? Its an easy job that takes less than an hour. If it were up to me I would make it mandatory that every wheel on the pavement had a working braking system attached to it.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the Hopkins Agility and it seems to work fine.
    Hardest thing is with any decent to dial in your settings so you get subtle stopping power without pulsing or worse yet skidding. And as road conditions change you gotta change your settings.

8. turfbuilder

turfbuilder LawnSite Senior Member
    from WI

yes yes and yes

9. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Thanks guys I will look into a couple.

As for installation.... I've got a 7-way plug already, the guy gave me the brake harness that comes with the truck. So I'm assume if I look through the manual I can plug the harness into the truck, splice the harness and controller together, and mount the harness to the underside of the dash?

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, it should be plug and play. Yes, if the trailer had brakes, use them. On Fords the plug in is above and to the right of the OBD2 port. Not sure what GM does on their pickups.