brake controller

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rscontracting, Mar 4, 2003.

1. rscontracting

rscontracting LawnSite Member
    from nj

I need help selecting a brake controller for my truck.I have a 2002 ford psd crewcab longbed. I will be purchasing a hualmark 7x14 tandem enclosed trailer.I really want the best there is to be safe.Any help would be appreciated. thanx rob

2. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The very best is Draw-tite Activator II.

Have used others but this is by far the better deal.

Should be around $115.00 installed

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I use the same one and have never had problems with it.

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Two that receive high remarks are Tekonsha Voyager, and Jordan Brake Controller. The Jordon actually hooks to your brake pedal, and gives braking power to the trailer in accordance with how much pressure you put on the pedal. From all the comments I've read about this, it is by far the best controller out there.

Randy

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have the tekonsha as well. havent had one problem yet with it. pretty much everyone i know has tekonsha as well.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Tekonsha here as well. I'm not sure if it's the Voyager though. I can't remember off the top of my head. I have never owned another controller so I really can't compare it to anything else, but I have nothing bad to say about it. I just remember tinkering around with it to level the sensor in the beginning, then after that minor power adjustments were all that needed to be made.

7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

tekonsha voyager works for us.
    pulling 16' to 24' trailers.

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the activator II and it is nice. Never had any problems with it.

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I have Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller on my '02 Chevy 2500HD. It is a great brake controller.

10. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

The Tekonsha Voyager. I have tried others, but this one is very easy to use and operate. Your Ford PSD is wired from the factory for a brake controller. You should have a scematic diagram of the wire locations and their functions in your glove compartment. Follow the directions for the Voyager, being very careful not to wire it based on wire colors but on function and you should have no problems at all.