brake lights stay on

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HC, Dec 26, 2000.

1. HC

HC LawnSite Member

The brake lights on my 1990 2500 stay on after application. To get them off I have to nudge the brake pedal. I understand it is probably the brake light switch. Is there an adjustment for these or do I need to replace it. There is not much room up there to work on it so I havent examined it too closely. Thought I'd ask first. Thanks...

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I had an 89 that did that all the time,If you forgot to pick up on the pedal when you got out,then you had a dead battery the next day.It is tight up there,we just put a small return spring on it,worked perfect for 4 yrs until we sold it.maybe the switch is adjustable,I think this happens when you get your foot hooked behind the brake pedal when getting out,and it bends the plate that the brakes switch stops against,therefore ,you have to pull the brake pedal up a little more to get the lights off.Good luck

3. bandit_36

bandit_36 LawnSite Member

Yes there is an adjustment. There is a little tab sticking straight down from the sw. Push the brk. peddle down with your hand & with your other hand push the tab forward then release & pull the pedal up. Hope that answers your question.

4. HC

HC LawnSite Member

Thanks bandit 36 and John. I will try and adjust it as it is driving me crazy. Just need to find the time,,,I have either plowed or salted nearly every day for the past 2 weeks.....truck and me need a break!!!