Brakes on Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smartgene, May 23, 2002.

1. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

How important are brakes on an open trailer - say a 6x12 with one walk behind on it? That's not a whole lot of weight.

2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what is pulling it. If it was a yugo i would get some brakes.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the brakes. I have the same size trailer and my mechanic recommends brakes. The trailer brakes will save the brakes on your tow vehicle, save your butt in an urgent stop situation, and if the trailer ever starts to sway you can tap the brake controller to get it under control.
    I should also note that I pulled my 6x12 several times with one walk-behind and a push mower (no brakes), But now that I put my Z-turn on brakes are a must.
    I would get brakes either way...hope this helps.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

When I was deciding whether to get the brakes on my 6 1/2 x 12 trailer or not, I decided to go with the brakes. I am not required to have brakes, but I would rather be safer than sorry. I am pulling JD GX325 so the brakes will be helping alot.

If you are only pulling one walk behind now, you should still get the trailer with brakes. Because what if in future you are expanding your business and you have more equipment to pull on your trailer? It costs less to buy a trailer with brakes than buying trailer without it and have the brakes added later.

5. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

A load of mulch or firewood ? you never know. Better safe than sorry.

6. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Can you add brakes to a trailer? What does it take other than money?

7. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I got brakes on my trailer but I am not sure if they work. If you have brakes on a trailer, do they have a seperate plug that you have to attach to on the truck. I have an emergency wire that connects to my hitch that will engage the brakes if the trailer gets loose from the truck, but does that mean I can use them for normal stopping? I have a double axle 16' trailer and the disc brakes are just on one axle.

Lasher66

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

lasher66,

What type of plug do you have on your TRAILER? If your trailer have brakes, it should be a round plug with 6 sockets (for trailer without backup lights on it) or 7 sockets (for trailer with backup lights on it).

What type of plug do you have on rear of your TRUCK? It should be the same as the plug on trailer. Do you have brake controller in your truck under your dash?

I will need to know these informations before I could help you any further.

The wire that you talked about is only for emergency only. If the trailer should ever disconnect from your truck hitch, the wire will be pulled and when that happen, it pulls the pin out of little box on the trailer, engaging the battery on the trailer to put the brakes on.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 6 1/2 X 12 without brakes pulling a 48 walkbehind and push mover. Stopping it with my 1985 3/4 Chevy is never a problem. My gross trailer weight loaded for mowing is only 3/4 of a ton. I haul 1.5 tons in the bed and still stop it fine. I think it's overkill and one more thing to go wrong. Also, adding a brake controller to my truck is a PITA.

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

After pulling many a trailer, some with brakes, and some without if there is any way there will be brakes on the trailer. I have pulled light trailers, heavy trailers, semis, no way would I not have brakes.
    On a 8 or maybe a 10 footer no, but any thing over that absolutely.
    Just my opinion.