1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Branch Offices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Mar 1, 2007.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many here have branch offices (at least an hour away from your main shop). The reason I ask, is that I am planning on starting a couple (1 or 2) within the next year or two. They would all be at least an hour away, and located in 75,000+ pop. cities.

For those that do have branch (es) how hard is it to maintain? i.e., How often do you go to each one of them? How did it affect your purchasing decisions? Do you run each under the same name or as a completely seperate company?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. AlleganyLawnCare

I guess no one has ever started one, or doesn't see the need to expand in territory. Hopefully, I am just impatient for some help in this regards.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You posted in 'starting a lawncare and landscape business' forum. How long have you been in business?
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh your in the wrong thread.
  5. AlleganyLawnCare

I don't think so. Just because I been in business for over 7 years, and have several employees, does not mean I posted in the wrong section. When starting a branch office, it is like starting a new business. There are alot of factors that are involved. I know how to run a business very well, but I am not sure on the part about the issues listed in my original posting.

This is a thread on starting a lawn care business, so in the same terms, I am starting a lawn care business, but only with a few more issues to deal with.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

This is still not the thread you should be in. You will get more replies if you take this to the commercial mowing threads.
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like a good idea if the work is there to support more trucks, equipment,rent, etc;although I would think you would need a very dependable manager for the other location.I would keep it under the same company so you dont have a double expense on insurance,accountant,lawyer etc. Then again it might be better to seperate for tax bracket purposes? An accountant would know. I live about 35-40 minutes from my storage yard and our prime service area,however we do service the area where my home is one day a week(or more if doing add ons) and my guys load up and come to me in the morning because there dependable,trustworthy and have keys to everything so it works out.My point. I service two areas but work from one location. You have a good idea if all the variable are in your favor.
  8. AlleganyLawnCare

You know, that is my number one fear - having the correct person in charge at your satellite offices. I don't like to micromanage, but yet I still have to know what is going on at all times. You know how it is, this is your baby and you want it to grow right. My workers are great, but 1. they are not management material by any means; and 2. even if they were, I would not be able to get them to travel that far on a daily basis or even move.

When I was in the Army, it didn't really matter. You had to trust your subordinates enough to "think" they will get the job done correctly. Where they lived was their own responisibility. Here in the civilian world , it still is their responsibility, but you still have to fill that position with a trustworthy person that can handle management level, but still be able to go get their hands dirty (literally) if need be, if you want to succeed.

Thanks for the input about your situation. A while back I had a client where it took 45 minutes to get to. I took it, because of the sob (I was weak at the time) story. She was very nice, and never screwed me over. It was just too far for one client; thereby not ost effective to do it. So, I had to drop her - felt bad - but had to do it.

I will have to check with an accountant, like you said. I prefer one name. So I will have to think about it more.

Thanks again for the help prizepop. I truely appreciate the help.

P.S. Sorry if I offended anyone as to the placement of this subject.