1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Branches, Trash and Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Mar 26, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

What do you guys do with all your yard debris during spring and fall clean-ups? Here in Maine we have alot of branches on the ground do to ice damage. Do you take them to the local transfer station or do most customers have a place on site for you to dump that stuff?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Spring cleaning for us includes picking all this junk up. The rate is reflective of the work. Leaves are the same.
    The cities and some villages here have a window that they use to do a curbside pickup. From April til May 10 or so a truck rolls around with a crew and chips all the brush and vacuums all the lawn debris and THEY haul it away. In the fall they vacuum up curbside again.
    Some customers that are in the country just let us throw the stuff into a pile in the back 40.
    If a customer insists that we haul it away, the city runs a compost site that we can dump at. The hours are limited and an attendant is on duty but they take commercial dumpers and there is no charge to dump there. It is nice but the limited hours make it a scheduling problem sometimes. It is better than paying to dump though.
  3. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas MOW ED. I'll have to call the town dumps where i'll be working. How much "yard debris" do you collect in a day?
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I collect everything in the spring but I take very little away. I collect an unbelievable amount of debris after "dethatching" but as I said most ends up on the curb.
    As far as taking away, it is hard to estimate. There may be a day when I fill the trailer up 6X14x4 and then sometimes I just have a load in the pickup bed on tarps.
    I would rather not deal with the hauling of debris so its priced high.
  5. The Rock

The Rock LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Big Daddy.. Up here in Naples Maine I have a stump dump that I can pile branches and compost leaves in and such. I charge the customer for a dump fee because every year we call in a chipping company to take care of this junk. The customer doesn't know if they go to the actual dump or my dump. With you being in the city I would look into the curb side pick up. That will save you a lot of time and money. Believe me, I would rather leave(no pun intended!!) the leaves behind than haul away. Good luck.:blob3:
  6. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I take it home. Leaves go in a compost pile. Larger branches go in a burn pit on the corner of my property. About every 2 weeks or so the neighbors come over and we sit around a fire, drink a few cold ones and enjoy the fire. One of the best investments I've made has been a small homeowner grade chipper/shredder (bought on clearance at the end of the season). Any everygreen branches or shrub timmings go through the shredder and to the compost pile. And, I do charge a haul fee to my customers to dispose of the stuff (thats what paid for the shredder and cold ones :D )
  7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

An associate of mine in the business, lives just outside Atlanta, and in A little town that collects anything from the curb weekly. Of course, the town pickup and hauling is for residents and their residences. This guy owns about a 1/2 acre property and about everyweek last spring would have a huge pile of debris just covering every linear feet of his curb.

Long story longer......

They watched him from a parked vehicle one day return from a job with another trailer full and after he looked around, he started to unload, they quickly pulled up and fined him $2000 and revoked his "curbside service" indefinately.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

We haul it away and take care of it. The cost of the dumping fees are included in the price that I quote the customer.

9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I haul all all material off the site. I dump at a the same place I buy my mulch from and For a pick-up or 1 ton dump it's $7 per dump for grass and leaves or $20 per dump for brush.