Brand Name and Size of Trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HonkyTonk, Apr 17, 2000.

1. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk LawnSite Member

Hello,<br>I am starting my own biz and just looking for opinions on trailers.<br>I don't have much equipment right now, but want something that will accommodate my needs as biz grows.<br>I have a Ford F150 with the 5.4L V8 engine. <br>I think I would prefer an open style tandem trailer with brakes.<br>What brand name and size trailer do you recommend? How much does a new one cost?<br>Thanks<br>
  2. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I just bought a new 14' star trailer. I had a 9' trailer that i had when i started out. i would go with a 14' <p>tony
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Also have ford F150. Had a custom trailor built with 3&quot; tubing. It's 6.5 x 16', dual axle. Paid $1200 with brakes installed. Couldn't be happier.<p>SSouth<br><br>
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 16x6 1/2 built by Southeast Metals in Lake City, Florida. I paid $1050 but it doesn't have brakes (I think they get and extra $150 for brakes) They come with brand new wheels and used 225/70-15 Goodyear Eagle GA's (police car take-off) I paid an extra $170 for the cage on the front. It had a removable gate.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Big Tex trailers are popular around here.<p>Bill
  6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

got some real good deals in the past.<br>Last trailer I owned was built on site north of Columbus Ohio-NEW 6.5x16 ft. tandem axle with new wheels & tires, brakes on back axle, 7000# GVW capacity (5500 for cargo), split rear mesh gate, pressure treated floor & 18&quot; side angle iron railings with EZ lube hubs for $1350. Couldn't get a used one with half the stuff for that price elsewhere. That was Hills equip in Marengo, OH.<br>One I use now is H & H from Indiana, but bought locally; 7x20 ft. tandem axle, brakes on rear axle, 7000# GVW, 2 mesh gates-one in back & one on right front side for walk behinds (I love it),treated lumber floor, 18&quot; angle iron sides, but with used tires (I replaced anyways) & it was last years model that didn't sell in '99-bought for $1500.<br>If you have a ZTR & walk behind, or 2 ZTR's, get a 16 ft. They have better resale, & you can grow into them. I got a 20 ft. cuz I need room for 2 Z's/riders, & a walk behind for smaller yards. The side gate helps cause I don't need to fire up a mower just to get it off the trailer to use the other mower. Had that prob. alot with 16 ft. trailer, although if it had 2 gates it woulda saved lotsa time . Just be sure if you do get a 2 gate trailer (with a gate on the side), make sure it was built that way. I know guys who've modified trailers & cut out the angle iron sides to put in a gate, & it warps the rigidity & srength of the trailer & ruins it.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  8. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I bought a new Brewer 16' tandem axle in Feb. for $890 plus tax (no brakes).
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a starlight 6.5x 18ft last year,I got the 10000 Gvwr,with brakes on both axles(its the law in NY).It is very strong,I pull a compact tractor/loader/backhoe with it too,that weighs 6000,so I needed more than a 7000gvwr.It is good for my Dixie chopper,and cars as well.I paid 2550,with a spare(150) extra.I'd buy another in a minute<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  10. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.<br>Much appreciated!!!<br>HonkyTonk