Brand new engine- oil overfilled- problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hoagie, Mar 23, 2002.

1. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Yes, another new mower problem thread :)
    Well, I just took delivery of a brand new 26efi Walker this morning.... drove it into my garage and began to look it over. Everything looks all nice and pretty, but pull the dip-stick out and the oil is about a 1/2 inch over the high fill mark. No big deal right, just drain some out till it's good... BUT, my only concern is this machine already has 4 hours on it, from being drivin in and out of the shop/showroom where it was purchased.
    I had wanted an out-of-box unit from the begining, but the dealer explained why there were 4hrs and that it IS brand new.
    QUESTION: I know overfilling can cause some serious problems, but would only a few hrs like this likely make any difference? And would I be making a big deal over nothing if I showed up Mon morning at the dealer asking for a swap on a different one? This machine hasnt touched any grass yet, nor has been run, cept from the street to my garage.
    I am quite meticulous about things, probably too anal at times... but am I over reacting w/ this?
    Any opinions, suggestions or experiences appreciated. -KJ

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The usual consequences of overfilling an engine with oil are the engine usually smokes until the oil level is lowered and it may blow oil seals. If during the course of the warranty period you notice that the engine is leaking oil don't hesitate to take it back.

3. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

The oil is has a milky cloudiness to it, sort of greenish yellow in color? In all my years of new engines I have NEVER seen new oil look like this, (except for on a liquid cooled where coolant has mixed w/ the oil). Somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!
    Is this the norm for Kohler oil (which I assume is what they used), I have always used Mobil1 and the worst it gets is dark brown. Green/yellow milk????? WTF!

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The ucky color you see is from foaming caused by being overfilled. If it was me, I'd probably ***** at my dealer and expect to be reimbursed for the new oil and filter that I would put on it immeadiately. Anything less, I'd tell him to take it back or speak with my attorney.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just purchased a new Lazer Hp and the first thing I did when I got home was to double check all the fluids and do a general overall check. It's not that I don't trust my dealer but you figure you just paid a lot of hard earned money for you new machine and you can never be too careful, in my opnion. My oil was fine but my hydro oil was low so I topped it off. Everything else looked ok also. No you are not being anal or overeacting.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you allowing the oil to "settle"? You cant just pull the dipstick and take a quick check! The oil checking process on almost all of my small equipment is a bit time consuming! You have to let it settle down the tube a bit before you stick it.

Also, new oil from Kohler is a lets say Honey colored with air bubbles in it.

Also, these 4 hrs that are on it were never enough to allow the engine to properly warm up enough to evaporate interior crankcase condensation. The milkyness you see is this condensation entering the oil and getting mixed up.

My suggestion.....Run it hard for an hour or so, then go and quick change the oil. Add the proper amount and a new filter, and you'll be all set. I always like to change the oil on a new engine rather soon anyway to get rid of any assembly debris.

Good Luck!

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If it were me, I would take it back. Because when I buy things, I buy them to last.
    You plan on having this mower for a long time.

And 4 hours is a long time to have been run just in and out of the shop. That's many start ups. Any damage can be unforseen right now. Anything's possible, why take a chance on your dime?

MATT

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I agree with Matt.

I would be concerned about how many times the engine was started and shut down to accumulate 4 hours on the meter.

That has to add up to A LOT of cold starts with not much chance for proper 'break in' running.

If the engine was not allowed it's proper 'warm-up' time and and was shut down prematurely each time (no low idle time) that many times I would be concerned about proper ring seating, guide wear and other 'break in' related matters.

Better safe than sorry...especially on such a big investment.

You spent money for new...so demand new.

And you thought YOU were anal....:D

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to question my dealer on those 4hrs heck you can cut 6 or even 8yds in 4hrs time, Ive never heard of anything like that. I don't think there is any harm to the engine i agree with TLS on the moisture and oil color, but that just isn't right to say you have a brand new mower with 4hrs, I sure would have a talk with the dealer though, and id change the oil and filter at 5hrs. Marks Mowing Service.......and the oil and filter should be a gift maybe even a new set of blades.

10. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

That machine had 4 hours on it and you bought it as new. Your dealer must know how to talk or sell very well. If you take it back i bet they will assure you it is ok. Get an oil change out of them and get an assurance in writing from them that they will fix any oil overfill related repair beyond the factory warranty for free. Make them guarantee that their overfill wont cause you trouble 3 years down the road. Sometimes you gotta be an a--h-le to other a--h-le's to get your way.