1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand new Kohler 27HP Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thill, May 28, 2004.

1. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We just took delivery today of a new SCAG 61" Turf Tiger with a 27HP Kohler (air cooled).

We were very pleased as we put it through a few paces. Plenty of power, nice cut, and the Scag handled very well.

We have done Kawasaki on our other riders and WBs and have been relatively satisfied. But (yup there always is one) we had heard nice things about Kohler in the last couple of years.

After running off and on, with about 1 hour on the engine, it bogged and blue out a massive cloud of light blue smoke.

We then experienced this twice more in rapid succession but did not detect a "bog". We stopped the machine and noted that the exhaust had sprayed a wet oily soot. We then checked the oil and found the level a bit higher than when we started. The odor of gasoline could be smelled right off the dipstick.

We immediately took it back to the dealer and said either find a very simple flaw or replace it now.

Now for my question. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this the start of a sad epic of trying out Kohler?

Any input would be welcomed.

2. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

Purchased a Ferris IS3000 61" cut with Kohler 27 hp air cooled 6 days ago. Have 3.8 hours on the mower. No problems yet. Good luck at the dealer and let us know how things turn out.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we got about 60 hours on our new 27 kohlor, no problems so far great on gas also.
  4. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Update...(With very red face)

Someone, trying to be helpful, saw the tag about being shipped dry laying next to this beautiful new machine. You guessed it.

Too much oil makes beautiful light blue clouds of smoke. The dealer drained out about 1 1/2 quarts and walah! no more smoke or bog.

Still not sure about that gasoline smell from the dipstick but the Kohler is running strong.

5. one tip when you are trailering cut the fuel value off ...those machines bounce and gas can get in the oil.
  6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

ODIN - Great Tip I was wondering why my oil level was raising (has happened twice), will no longer be a problem.
    Thanks Again

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

a dealer that has a lot of mowers on display will gas them up so he dont have to push them around when they do get moved they
    nevr fully warm up. this causes water and fule to form in the engine, change the oil in the first ten hrs. and every thing will be okay
    also at or dearlership there has been a few times some one will
    over fill the oil it is something that happens. but you should have looked at the oil level before YOU started it.the most important thing to do every day is pull that dip stick and look
    have a good year
  8. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

my 27 Kohler seems to be burning oil not much maybe 1/4 quart every ten hours. Is this normal. The engine has about 60 hours on it and I changed the oil at 10 hours.
  9. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

It's normal. Could take up to a 100+ hrs to break-in. The rings need to seat to the cly wall. When they do it should not burn much oil.
  10. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Rob, I wish the engine manufatures would put together more detailed owners manuals about engine break in and maintenance. Also how long should I warm up the engine b-4 mowing. Right now I let it fast idle for 3 min then full throttle for about 2 more before I engage the blades. Is this enough time?