1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand new Kubota ZD331 issues-WTF?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRoyale, Jun 2, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

One of my guys calls me today, brand new 331 with 60 inch deck is overheating. No coolant leaking, rad screens are clean, it was their last cut, so he brings it back. Coolant level is really low. Wondering if they missed it on the PDI. Any long term problems going to surface from this? He didnt run the machine very long after the alarm sounded. WTF?????
  2. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Keep us posted on what the problem is/was. I just bought a ZD331 about a month ago. No problems yet, but, it is fairly cool outside at this time.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

The boys are dopping it off at the dealer in the morning and picking up a loaner for the day till they figure it out. I'll keep you posted.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have them check the motor mounts.

My 331 I bought last year had bad motor mounts, when you'd go over a curb, the fan would flex just enough to slice the radiator.

Went through 2 radiators in the first 20 hours of the machine.

Right now it's in the shop because the wiring harness fried last week, wants to short out and not start.

Also, make sure you keep an eye on the back end of the engine, down low for oil leaks.

There was a bad seal for the crankshaft, cam, something, I don't remember right now, but it took about 3 weeks to get my mower back.

You want any other good news??
  5. JohnnyRoyale

Thanks for your experiences. Where were you before I bought 2 of these things? I sent it down to the dealer, if its not a quick fix, I'll take a loaner tell they figure it out.
  6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't fret - you bought quality equipment. No matter if it's a car or mower, always check your coolant, frequently. As mentioned before, there is an updated motor mount kit that may be needed for your machine(s). The dealer can check to see if your machine(s) need them. I owned two Kubota ZD's in recent years. I absolutely loved them. They were too heavy for my applications. :usflag:
  7. JohnnyRoyale

No doubt its a quality machine. My dealer treats us well too. One look at the belt on the comparable Ferris, and my decision was made.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, you must not have done enough search engine work on here, because each time I've had an issue, I've posted.

Stopped at the dealer today, no wiring harness. They supposedly overnighted it last Thursday.

We have had this issue now with Kubota with both the mowers as well as the compact tractor I bought, along with my previous tractor.

I think they've hit the market running, without making sure the parts end can keep up.

I liked it better before, when no one else cared for their equipement, and I was one of the only ones that needed parts.

Johnny - keep us posted on your parts situation.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

They pressure tested the rad, no leaks, added coolant, and off they went. It started raining before they got to their first place this morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Will keep you updated. I'm thinking it was missed in PDI, which suprises me cuz this dealer is A1.
  10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think you are right, but on a zd in the past i had a thermosat stick and cause the over heating only at 200 hrs. so keep that in mind as a possiblilty in the future. i think your machine will be fine.