1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand new lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bobcat175, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at a new home. Should I give the builder specs for the lawn? I'm sure it will be done on a cost basis and not a quality issue. So since I'm the guy that has to live there what should I say/ask??

What should I give for specs?
    What is the best to worst way he can start a lawn?

Thanks in advance.
  2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Ask him what the cost is for installing a lawn and how he is going to do it. Then ask for a credit for that amount and pay a professional. In the long run it will cost you more but if you let a contractor do it they will just throw seed down and your result will not be good.
  3. lenster

lenster LawnSite Member

Hi Bobcat

Here is what I have run into in that situation.
    Depending on the home and the size of the builder you will get sod (if you are lucky sod sometimes will not take if the soil is not very good) , grass seed placed down with straw or maybe hydro-seed. Not many builders in my area are flexible to give you options for a lawn. Many of the large builders in my area anyway they take off many inches of the top soil, sell the soil, then re-spread a few inches down when the house is complete.
    I had to re-add soil to my lawn and then over-seed with the seed I wanted (tall fescue). If you have a smaller builder maybe they can accommodate your needs. Don't hesitate to ask them though sod, seed or hydro? No matter what they use you may end up reseeding and topsoiling anyways?

Sod is great if it can root in your soil.
    Not sure about hydro-seeding.
    I have had good success with aerating, adding topsoil, then over-seeding.
    Hope this helps.

4. jdilley1

jdilley1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We bought a home as the builder was finishing it up a few years ago. In the price was a sod allowance for the front yard. The back was to be hyrdoseed. To make a long story short, we had the sod put in the back because we have dogs. This builder simply threw the sod down without any site prep at all. The back looks like garbage. It's been three years and I'm still trying to turn it all around. At one point, I seriously considered ripping the whole back yard up - then I looked at the cost and overseeding started to look much better.

The front yard was all hydroseed - the advantage here is that the builder had to contract the hydroseed out to a professional. The comparison is night and day between the front and the back. I am sure if done right, sod is great, but I would put hydroseed down again for sure. It really turned out nice.
  5. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

What cost numbers should I expect from the builder for sod, hydro, seed? The lot is 3.5 acres but probably only .75 - 1.0 acres of lawn. I think that the spec says that he does only 30 feet from the house perimeter.