brand new lowballer company :/

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

So we've been trying to get "in" with a local company to do their multi store property maintenance.

Apparently back a few months ago, the company went with a management company, which we contacted a week ago because they were supposed to convert over to "new subs".

I find out from a reputable store manager, that this company shows up today to introduce themselves as their provider of services.

They had a old, like very early 90s ford f150 that was "dull" like no clearcoat left on it, maybe rusty, an open trailer, one old "black" zero turn thats probably 7+ years old, NO name or any info on the truck or trailer, residential license places in nj.....

I looked up the name of the company, and it says in a newspaper article that this company opened up shop in February 2010! Apparently they have almost 30 locations for this company now in the surrounding 3 counties :/

Really bothers me that they can hire companies like this, i mean its bad enough when brickmans goes out with all their old falling apart crap, but this illegal business crap is ridiculous, even if they have liability insurance at bare minimum :hammerhead:

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I think people complain on this site more than asking questions. What do you think?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

theres enough grass out there for all types of companies.

4. ASLandscapemgt

ASLandscapemgt LawnSite Member

ramairfreak where are you in burlington county?? i am also in burlington county....

5. socallawndude

socallawndude LawnSite Member

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I run a '00 Dodge Durango R/T, a three decade old utility trailer and equipment reaching ten years old. I prefer to own my equipment and undercut the bigger guys who think they NEED a new F series truck, a new trailer and all new machinery, only to sell it all for new stuff in 3-4 years. That to me doesn't make sense. If you take care of your equipment and vehicles, they'll take care of you.

7. LKCLawnService

LKCLawnService LawnSite Member

Customers that leave you over a couple bucks are not worth having anyway. I have never lost an acct from a low baller. All of my customers have given me the benefit of the doubt and atleast given me the opportunity to match there price, heck I have customers that went with the low ballers and now are my customers cause they hacked up there lawn. Nuff said...do a good job and you wont lose many customers.:weightlifter: I think its laughable when I see companies with 100k of equipment like there cool and have 25 accounts, way to much overhead for my liking. I do just fine with 20k worth

8. PPS.inc

PPS.inc LawnSite Member
    from Earth

Agreed. I own everything on my trailer. Leased the truck for 2 yrs (last 6 yrs) a F-150, started with a 4.6. No power, manual everything. I am going to buy a new 2010 250. Started pushing snow and most of my lawn acct. jumped on. If you do good work everything will come around. You gotta go above and beyond. You will get customers who will gladly pay you more to keep you around. Taking a loan for the truck and will run it forever. my company is 7 yrs. in the making. Got about 7 yds of tree limbs to haul away and 10.5 yds. of mulch install on monday. Both customers have been with me since day-1... Keep your head up, do good work, and everything will wrk out.

Just don't lowball to work. Time off work is what makes it all worth it.:usflag:

9. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

Times are tuff right now. A lot of property and business owners are looking for the cheapest price they can get right now and these newer companies are just taking advantage of it. They come in with little startup cost and do cheap work. Most of them in my area are done mid summer when it starts to get hot and they realize it's not worth it but during spring they have a lot of work. I just try to stay away from the places that just want the cheapest prices in town. I dont even mess with bidding companies with multiple locations anymore (banks, apartments, fast food rest.). Its too cut throat in this economy. This year we went toward the residential market and it has worked out great.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

This brings around a better point than crying about the "lowballers". Most in the business long enough have realized through expeirience that commercial work is a volume game, one with lower margins but generally higher dollar volume. the commercial market is not for everyone. It's what I do right now, but as we watch our local market become tighter and tougher we are shifting more energy towards promoting and selling to the residential market. Locally the comm market has become ridiculous. We have a few longstanding clients which we will likely never lose, but that kind of loyalty is normally only to the best price. Make a decision as to what kind of business you want to be, just be ready for the actual market, not one the way you'd like it to be.