Brand new mower problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuskey, May 10, 2004.

1. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

I JUST took delivery of a new Huster wb. It's a 48" deck w/15 hp Kawasaki motor and a pro slide installed. Well, I was testing it out on my own yard and started having problems right away. I made it about a lap around the yard and the motor started blowing white smoke so I shut it down. I let it sit for a minute and was having trouble getting it back started. I called the dealer and he said it sounded like maybe the choke had stuck and flooded the motor. He said to call him back in the morning if I couldn't get it running. Well, I got it fired back up and thought maybe I had bumped the choke on by accident. So about another lap later it started again. I shut the blades off and backed the throttle down. I throttled it back up and started driviing around the yard w/out the blades on. It eventually started doing it again. I tried the blades one more time, and this time it started smoking almost immediatly. My dealer told me to call him back in the morning and they would come and get it, but I'm pretty bummed about it. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Thanks.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I know mine would smoke brand-new (Kaw 17). All can and most will from time to time. Normal. You could check to see if it had too much oil. Sure your remembering to let it warm up for 3-5 mins.

When mine was new, it could be a bear to start. Always cut the gas off when hauling it.

Let it run for awhile. No load.

3. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

Thanks for the advice. I went out and tried it one more time and everything seemed ok. I mowed the whole yard with no problems. So I'm pretty relieved. We'll see how it does on its first full day.

I really like the setup. I've been used to the exmark ecs controls and the Hustler are much easier on the hands. It accelerates like crazy and because it's a little longer it doesn't try to rock back as much.

So now I'm really happy :D