brand new RB CPF-100 valve leaking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ktgatlin, May 22, 2008.

1. ktgatlin

ktgatlin LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

Heya folks,

I have a massive irrigation project underway in my backyard (big for me).

I have built (2) 4-zone manifolds. I built one zone using DVF-100s (all black from pro shop) and another using CPF-100s from Lowes (both horizontal valves).

I read the comparisons of each of these valves on the website and even took pictures of the valves to show people later. They are almost exactly the same exact the Lowes valves are gray-colored tops.

I have between 60 and 65 PSI for water pressure static, down to 40 or 45 in use.

The DVF-100s are holding the pressure and not leaking. The CPF-100s are leaking badly, as in a slow trickle out of the valve.

I played around with the adjustments and nothing helps. What is going on here?

Thanks in advance!

2. ohenry

ohenry LawnSite Member

From where are the valves leaking? Upstream side at the adapter? Downstream side when closed? Around the valve body? At the solenoid?

3. ktgatlin

ktgatlin LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

oops! yeah, forgot to post that. At the downstream side of the valve like the diaphragm is leaking. I have played around with the solenoids and tried to adjust a little "less tight" and a little "more tight" - nothing seems to keep the valves from weeping. I have a shutoff valve upstream of this manifold. If I turn it off, the valves stop leaking. The water pressure against the closed valve causes the diaphragm to leak.

Any ideas?

4. Junk in valve....take it apart and clean it.

Or

Replace with a DV100 and be done with it

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why we don't buy irrigation supplies at Blowes, part seventeen...

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

sweet pics dude.

7. ktgatlin

ktgatlin LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

Hey SprinklerGuy

Thanks! I think that was it. Beginner mistake - flush the lines before using.

The valves seem to be doing much better and sealing after doing a quick flush.

FWIW, I took a bunch of upclose pics of the CPF-100 and DVF-100 valves.

They are practically identical in materials and design.

The only difference is the gray top of the CPF-100 and the black top of the DVF-100 valve. There might be a material difference between the diaphragm in each valve. Both are black. I think the CPF-100 might be using a cheaper butyl rubber, as the DVF-100 diaphragm appears to be slightly shinier.

If anyone wants pics, I can post them. The CPF-100 valve was $18 at Lowes. The DVF-100 was $25 at a good irrigation supply house. The difference was not enough for me to worry about, but I had already bought the valves from Lowes before I knew better.

For kicks, I built one manifold using (4) CPF-100s and another manifold using (4) DVF-100s. I wanted to do a long term study after reading through posts on this site. I know a lot of the stuff at hardware stores can be of cheaper quality but I wanted to see if Rainbird was actually cutting corners with their consumer grade stuff.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I realize youre a homeowner and wont be buying valves in bulk likely anytime soon. But. I buy my DVF 100's a fair bit cheaper than you bought the one at Lowes. Im sure you paid list or close to it at a local supply house. Post some pipcs of your work, we like pics.

9. ktgatlin

ktgatlin LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

Let me start by saying that I have not built that many manifolds. I have already redesigned this area twice and almost redid a third time.

Anywhoo, let the razzing begin - I am sure there will some mistakes you guys can see - Im all ears for advice - try to be somewhat kind ;)

Here is the first one...

IMG_6518.jpg

10. ktgatlin

ktgatlin LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

Here is another one...

IMG_6524.jpg