Brand new Scag Turg Tiger ate up deck drive belt and spit it out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watson524, May 15, 2010.

1. watson524

watson524 LawnSite Member

Just got a 61" Turf Tiger with the 35hp Vanguard in it on Thursday. It was raining so today was the first time I could use it.

Was running great and the cut and power are awesome and then the deck shut down.

Darn thing chewed the edge off the deck drive belt and jumped it off the pulley. I have 1.2 hours on it and am out of commission.

I'll be at the dealer with the machine bright and early Monday morning and I'm hoping it's a quick fix. I know in the book it says check the first 2, 4, 8 and 10 hours and take it to the dealer if it appears to be wearing belts so I assume this is covered as a warranty item but what the heck. Is this a known issue? I've never had a belt problem on my 2001 Turf Tiger but I didn't get it knew so maybe these wear in issues are normal.

I couldn't figure out how to get the belt on the 2 pulleys (tending on idler pulley spring is off yes...). Mainly can't get it under the bottom pulley so it's not like even if I had a spare belt I could sort it out. Plus I want the dealer to make good on this.

Any thoughts on if I should be overly concerned?

thanks!

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a remote possibility a small stick, rock or any type debris could have gotten onto the deck between the belt and pulley to the exact point the belt may have thrown itself off?

3. watson524

Nope, the belt is the one in the back that attaches the clutch to the PTO. It in the back, behind the engine, vertically under cover.

4. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

check all pulleys to make sure no stick is wedged up in there.

5. watson524

Confirmed. No sticks anywhere. Seems to be it just didn't like one edge of it and makes me wonder if a pulley is out of alignment or something.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Must be a pulley running out of alignment, this is a new mower, let the dealer worry about it. Some people attempt and can repair a number of problems, but when on a new mower the dealer needs to handle the inconvenience.

This is to make sure the problem is documented in case it continues to give trouble. The manufacture must have documentation to become involved if necessary, make sure the dealer notes your account with all information pertinent to your problem, you need your own documentation as well.

This day and time you cannot leave an I undotted or a T uncrossed when dealing with these companies, if so they will attempt to take advantage of your situation, times are tough in this economy and no one wants to pay for anything they can make you pay for.

Please come back and let us know what the problem was?

7. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you were around any rocks and backed into them. They can get in and under the bottom pulley and burn that belt right off. It will put out alot of smoke when it does this and you have to look back to see it. This has happened to me twice. Just two weeks ago it done it again and I caught it but it still grooved the belt bad and I had to order a new one. Scag needs to make a larger opening so the rocks will fall out. My Plasma cutter is going to fix mine!!!!!

8. watson524

Nope, no backing into rocks.... wide open field basically. I'm thinking pulley out of alignment given it wore just on the one side/edge of the belt. What do they do about pulleys out of alignment? Is this a manufacturing default that they do a "patch" fix on?

Pain in the butt that I have to haul this down Monday. I'm hoping they can take it in while I wait and sort it out... especially being as I just bought it Wednesday.

9. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know but the same thing is happening to my deck belt. I checked it and it looked ok, then Iam greasing it and my hand hit the bottom side of the belt and it felt like a crack. Rolled the belt over and the whole bottom half was cracked bad. Got to looking at the pulleys and the idler pulley needs to be down about 1/2 inch. Now we are talking around 600hrs to do this to the belt. But the dealer said they dont normally sell to many deck belts. Going to have to pull it apart to see if I can lower it. Something has to be really out of wack to tear it up that quick.

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

The easiest pulley to be out of place is the lower pulley. It is attached to a deck spindle which powers the drive shaft. The pulley can be adjusted on the spindle just like a deck spindle pulley.