1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand New starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CreativeSensations, Jul 10, 2004.

1. CreativeSensations

CreativeSensations LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, been reading the site for about 4 to 5 days now and just wanted to say it has helped me in many ways. My name is Jason Cutler I am 19 years old and have a wife and a beautiful son of 4 weeks and I am looking at making some extra cash on the side while working my full time third shift job. I work from 11pm to 6am in the morning and just need to pick up some work on the side to make a better income, would love to actually change it up and turn it into my main stream income but a couple extra hundred dollars will work for me. I have maybe 3 hundred dollars and can borrow a truck and a riding lawn mower, any other suggestions on what I could do or how i should start..??

Creative Sensations
    A wonderland for your mind and your senses.

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats on the wife & baby. Jason start off slow, talk to family and friends to see if they know anybody who needs their lawn cut. Make up a nice little flyer and pass them around at every chance you get. Good luck and welcome to LawnSite.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

In addition to EastPro's advice, invest in a set of magnetic signs for your truck. I paid $50 for 2 small signs when I started. Ordered them through Staples. I'm always amazed when I see companies with nice trucks, trailers and equipment, doing a nice job, but they don't have their name & number on the truck. A lot of people don't know their neighbors enough to go over and ask who cuts their lawn. I've gotten a lot of business off that $50 investment.